[comp.lang.c] assembly language simulator

prodigy@quiche (Chris ALPAUGH) (11/15/89)

Has anybody out there ever written any sort of assembly language simulator?
I'd be interested to know what sort of algorithms and techniques you used
to decode the instructions.  This is a limited project, so I'm not going
to attempt to write an entire assembler, but just a program that will accept
assembled PDP-11 code and "run it", in a simulated environment.  Any info
on this sort of ting would be greatly appreciated.  General algorithms and
ideas would be great.

thanks in advance, Chris

	Address:  prodigy@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca

jrh@mustang.dell.com (jrh) (11/16/89)

When I took assembler at UT Austin, they were using such an animal... A PDP-11
simulator running on a CDC Dual Cyber I believe.  If you contact the cs.utexas.edu they may have some good information for you.  Been several years
though,they may not even use it anymore.

James R. Howard
!s: cs.utexas.edu!dell!mustang!jrh

fenske@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu (Robert Fenske Jr) (11/16/89)

In article <4259@dell.dell.com> jrh@mustang.dell.com (jrh) writes:
>When I took assembler at UT Austin, they were using such an animal... A PDP-11
>simulator running on a CDC Dual Cyber I believe.  If you contact the
>cs.utexas.edu they may have some good information for you.  Been several years
>though,they may not even use it anymore.
This is essentially correct.  UT has (up until '84 when I left anyway) two
CDC Cyber 170/750's (fastest number cruncher I've ever used with the second
worst OS I've ever used [the power of the '60s at your finger tips!]).  The
PDP-11 simulator, written in PASCAL I believe, was for the lower-div assembly
class.  Don't know what this has to do with C though.

--
Robert Fenske, Jr.                      Sw     | The Taming the C*sm*s series:
Electromagnetics Division              /R---\  |