[comp.lang.c] Textbook about using C to write menu?

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (11/09/89)

In article <897daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu> daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>     Does anybody know if there is a textbook about using C language to write
>pull-down menus, windows, or other friendly user interfaces?

There undoubtedly are, but you should be aware that the details are
HEAVILY dependent on the specific target system, because the support
provided by the system for such operations varies.  For example, the
C implementation of the interactive graphic interface for the "sam"
editor differs radically among SunTools, X11, and Blit versions.

Thus, what you ask requires both general facility in use of C and
detailed knowledge of available graphics support for the target system.
Putting the two together is relatively trivial.

norm@oglvee.UUCP (Norman Joseph) (11/10/89)

From article <7890@cg-atla.UUCP>, by fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith):
> In article <897daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu> daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>>
>>     Does anybody know if there is a textbook about using C language to write
>>pull-down menus, windows, or other friendly user interfaces?
>
> There is a book by Mark Rochkind (sp??) on the subject in which he develops
> some display management code for both DOS and Unix. Sorry I can't remember thbe
> book title or the publisher.

TITLE:
    Advanced C Programming for Displays:
    Character Displays, Windows, and Keyboards for the UNIX and MS-DOS
    Operating Systems

AUTHOR:
    Marc J. Rochkind

PUBLISHER:
    Prentice Hall, 1988

ISBN#:
    0-13-010240-7

--
Norm Joseph - Oglevee Computer System, Inc.
  UUCP: ...!{pitt,cgh}!amanue!oglvee!norm

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (11/10/89)

In article <11565@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <897daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu> daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>>     Does anybody know if there is a textbook about using C language to write
>>pull-down menus, windows, or other friendly user interfaces?
>
>There undoubtedly are, but you should be aware that the details are
>HEAVILY dependent on the specific target system, because the support
>provided by the system for such operations varies.

Because of this I would have to recommend you buy a package from a third
party.  Writing this code, while lots of fun, is time consuming, difficult,
and if it's not bulletproof some weenie out there will make your system
look like crap.  Contrast the $100-$200 you'll pay for the package to
the time spent developing your own.  It goes without saying you should buy
the source code, not just binary libraries.

If you need to support multiple platforms then buy a screen handling package
for each, then develop macros like 'pullwindow(x,y,etc.)' that interface
to the package used for each system.

Of course, if you're on a proprietary architecture for which no such package
exists then I've just wasted some net bandwidth wearing out my keyboard.
Although it may be instructive to buy a package thats close to what you have,
then either modify it or re-write it.  Watch your legal backside when doing
this tho.

jim
"broken spanish spoken perfectly"

rowe@cme.nist.gov (Walter Rowe) (11/11/89)

daiyingshi> In article <897daiyingshi> daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu writes:
daiyingshi>
daiyingshi> Does anybody know if there is a textbook about using C
daiyingshi> language to write pull-down menus, windows, or other
daiyingshi> friendly user interfaces?

Fred> There is a book by Mark Rochkind (sp??) on the subject in which
Fred> he develops some display management code for both DOS and Unix.
Fred> Sorry I can't remember thbe book title or the publisher.

Fred> Fred

I have it, and its a pretty good book.  Here is the pertinent info:

          Advanced C Programming for Displays

	Character Displays, Windows, and Keyboards
        for the UNIX and MS-DOS Operating Systems
    Marc J. Rochkind, 1988
    Prentice Hall Software Series
    ISBN: 0-13-010240-7

Walter

---
Walter P. Rowe, System Admin
Robot Systems Division, NIST
rowe@cme.nist.gov

miller@b-mrda.boeing.com (Mark Miller) (11/22/89)

I recently pulled down a package called PDWindows from comp.sources.misc.
It is the C source for a text-based PC windowing package. It might give
you a good start. If you can't get the file from news, email me and
I'll send it to you.

					Mark Miller
					Boeing Commercial Airplane Co.
					Seattle, WA

Disclaimer:
	My views are not necessarily those of my employer.