[comp.lang.c] file dependency generaor wanted

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (11/10/89)

In article <2791@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, dog@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (edward.n.schiebel) writes:
> I am looking for PD software which reads as input a list of
> source file names, and generates as output file dependencies
> for the input.  Something suitable for semi-automagically
> generating makefiles.
> Anyone know of such a beast?
 Sounds like the makedepend program that comes with Perl 3.0
sources or the one packaged with some GNU stuff or the one in the
X11R3 distribution. Take your pick, they all do well. I just looked
at the one that came with perl, and it seems the best to me...

					Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ second choice:                                     woan@peyote.cactus.org +

>In article <2791@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, dog@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (edward.n.schiebel) writes:
> I am looking for PD software which reads as input a list of
> source file names, and generates as output file dependencies
> for the input.  Something suitable for semi-automagically
> generating makefiles.

Mkdep is on the Tahoe tape.  I don't know whether it's included in the BSD
freedware on UUNET, but I would look there first if I were you.  You might
also look for mkmf in the same place.

--tom

    Tom Christiansen                       {uunet,uiucdcs,sun}!convex!tchrist
    Convex Computer Corporation                            tchrist@convex.COM
		 "EMACS belongs in <sys/errno.h>: Editor too big!"