[comp.lang.c] Codeview of Microsoft C

liang@CS.UOREGON.EDU (11/19/89)

  When I use CODEVIEW to debug my C program, I got a message "No symbolic

information". This program was compiled by Microsoft C command MSC.

I guess there must be some parameters I have to put on the compiler command

MSC. Anyone there know this trick, please drop me a e-mail.

			Thanks

						STEVE

  e-mail: liang@cs.uoregon.edu

darcy@bbm.UUCP (D'Arcy Cain) (11/20/89)

In article <8911182219.AA29355@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu>
liang@CS.UOREGON.EDU writes:

>I guess there must be some parameters I have to put on the compiler command
>MSC. Anyone there know this trick, please drop me a e-mail.

I just have to ask.  Do you have a manual?  See Getting Started, the section
entitled "Preparing C Programs for the CodeView Debugger."  I will assume that
you don't have a "borrowed" copy of the software and therefore have a manual.

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

dts@quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) (11/20/89)

In article <8911182219.AA29355@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu> liang@CS.UOREGON.EDU writes:
:
:  When I use CODEVIEW to debug my C program, I got a message "No symbolic
:
:information". This program was compiled by Microsoft C command MSC.
:
:I guess there must be some parameters I have to put on the compiler command
:
:MSC. Anyone there know this trick, please drop me a e-mail.

Hmm.  The MSC switches and such things needed to get the full use
of Codeview are well documented in the very first few pages of the
Codeview manual.  As a result, I can't help but be suspicious of
how this person came by his copy of the software in question, and
would strongly suggest that people refrain from giving him the
answer straight out.  If he actually has a legitimate copy, then
RTFFPoTFM (Read The First Few Pages of The Fripping Manual) should
be sufficient advice, and I apologize for my misgivings.

If my suspicions are correct, however... for shame!

Sorry for wasting so much bandwidth on something which really
doesn't belong in this group anyway.  Followups to, oh, I dunno,
maybe comp.sys.ibm.pc - everything else seems to end up there.

--
David Sandberg             dts@quad.uucp or ..uunet!rosevax!sialis!quad!dts

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (11/21/89)

In article <8911182219.AA29355@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu> liang@CS.UOREGON.EDU writes:
>  When I use CODEVIEW to debug my C program, I got a message "No symbolic
>information". This program was compiled by Microsoft C command MSC.
>I guess there must be some parameters I have to put on the compiler command
>MSC. Anyone there know this trick, please drop me a e-mail.

I'll try to say this without starting a flame fest.
1) RTFM, this presumes you have the manuals that came with MSC.  You did buy
it, didn't you?
2) Try "cl -help", it gives a complete summary of compile options.
3) Try "cl -Zi", this compiles for Codeview.

Benson, you are so mercifully devoid of the ravages of intelligence.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

frank.bonitatibus@canremote.uucp (FRANK BONITATIBUS) (11/21/89)

        According to the Microsoft manual you must specify either:

                /Zi     For object files for use with MS Codeview, or
                /Zd     For object files for use with MS SYMDEB.

        You must also specify /Od which disables optimizations.

Good luck,

-Frank
---
 * QDeLuxe 1.10 #3963

mcdonald@aries.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (11/22/89)

In article <352@quad.uucp> dts@quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) writes:
>In article <8911182219.AA29355@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu> liang@CS.UOREGON.EDU writes:
>:
>:  When I use CODEVIEW to debug my C program, I got a message "No symbolic
>:
>:information". This program was compiled by Microsoft C command MSC.
>:

My memory may be foggy, but I dimly seem to recall that the first
version of Codeview came with the version of MSC that changed
from calling the compiler "MSC" to "CL". Perhaps a version
mismatch is occurring. RTFM is a correct suggestion, but he
may have to diligently search two manuals.

Doug McDonald

bryan@quame.UUCP (Bryan A. Woodruff) (11/25/89)

>In article <8911182219.AA29355@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu> liang@CS.UOREGON.EDU writes:
>:
>:  When I use CODEVIEW to debug my C program, I got a message "No symbolic
>:
>:information". This program was compiled by Microsoft C command MSC.
>:

The "No symbolic information" message will occur if you have linked a program
without the /CO option on the linker.  Also, if you have modules (or libraries)
not compiled with the /Zi option of the MSC compiler, you MUST link those
modules AFTER the ones that you are testing (those compiled with the /Zi
option)

Hope this helps!

Bryan Woodruff, Quality America, Inc.
(bryan@quame.uu.NET, ...!uunet!quame!bryan)