[comp.lang.c] C++

STROBL%DBNGMD21.BITNET@CNUCE-VM.a (Wolfgang Strobl 49+228303223) (11/23/87)

> ... might I suggest that you look at C++.   C++ would allow ...

I am looking for a compiler for C++, which runs under IBM MVS/XA. Any
suggestions are welcome.

Wolfgang Strobl, STROBL@DBNGMD21.BITNET

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (08/30/88)

burgett@steel.UUCP (Michael Burgett) writes:
>have you "scientists" considered using an extensible language (like
>C++ :-)) to solve some of your woes??

Some have.  The School of Oceanography here has a major project trying
to put to gether a cannonical library of useful tools (e.g.,
statistics, curve fitting, data disply, ...) using C++.  To quote from
the chief programmer's .project:

Project: Evangelizing the true C++ to the heathen Fortran Oceanographers

Want to know more about C++?  Try:

    Bjarne Stroustroup "The C++ Programming Language"
    comp.lang.c++
    gnu.g++

My personal feeling: Since Sun/AT&T has announced (some ammount of
commitment) that they will be using C++ in future Un*xs and since some
major groups (such as Cray) have a committment to high-performance
compilers and C++ (appears to be) a good way to go about doing
scientific programming, I think that the quality if C++ compilers will
get good quite soon.

Want to know more about the Oceanography project?  Send me e-mail,
I'll try to get a project summary out to you.

	;-D on  ( Not involved with the project in any way )  Pardo
--
		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (01/06/89)

Has GNU C++ been ported to Xenix/386, and if so where can I get a copy
by either uucp or ftp?
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

In article <2243@dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
> Since C++ is the way C is moving...

A questionable sentiment to say the least. C++ is clearly superior to C
in some ways, but it's a new language. And not necessarily the best language
for the things it's good at.

At any rate, C++ != C.

[ Actually, the value of the expression "C++ != C" is implementation-defined ]
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
 'U`  Also <peter@ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.