[comp.lang.c] Re^2: C/370 is case insensitive, and just generally rots!

ted@ultra.com (Ted Schroeder) (12/19/89)

c9h@psuecl.bitnet writes:
>About the special characters (namely braces and brackets):  CMS doesn't
>appear to have much of a problem with them.  XEDIT will display brackets
>if I use SET APL ON, and CMS 5.5 seems to handle the braces correctly with
>a couple of SET OUTPUT commands, but CMS 5 (on the 4381) is giving me Hell
>over it.  It would be *really* nice if I could use standard C notation.
>Any suggestions?

So what am I doing right?  I've been running VM/IS 5.1 on a 9370 for over
a year now (CMS 5) and I have NO problems whatsoever with braces, brackets,
or vertical bars.  I either enter data from a 3191 (3279 style 24 line
monochrome terminal) or from an ASCII connection on my Sun workstation.
I also am running VM/XA SP2 on a 4381 (CMS 5.5) and don't have any problems
there either (always entering data on the 3191).  The only minor inconvenience
is having to have a file that has the square bracket characters in it
(0xAD and 0xBD) so I can enter them from the 3191 (they go in fine from
my Sun workstation).  How come I don't have to do any magic SET OUTPUT
or anything?

I regularly transfer data from my IBM to my Sun (via FTP) and recompile
the same code on the Sun and it works fine.  Transfer it back, recompile
on the IBM and it works fine.  Can everyone be a little more specific about
what sucks?  Because I'm obviously too naive of a user since I can't
get anything at all to break.

      Ted Schroeder                   ted@Ultra.com
      Ultra Network Technologies      ...!ames!ultra!ted
      101 Daggett Drive
      San Jose, CA 95134
      408-922-0100

Disclaimer:  I don't even believe what I say, why should my company?

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (12/19/89)

In article <1989Dec18.183306.12278@ultra.com> ted@ultra.com (Ted Schroeder) writes:
>So what am I doing right?  I've been running VM/IS 5.1 on a 9370 for over
>a year now (CMS 5) and I have NO problems whatsoever with braces, brackets,
>or vertical bars.  I either enter data from a 3191 (3279 style 24 line
>monochrome terminal) or from an ASCII connection on my Sun workstation.
>I also am running VM/XA SP2 on a 4381 (CMS 5.5) and don't have any problems
>there either (always entering data on the 3191).  The only minor inconvenience
>is having to have a file that has the square bracket characters in it
>(0xAD and 0xBD) so I can enter them from the 3191 (they go in fine from
>my Sun workstation).  How come I don't have to do any magic SET OUTPUT
>or anything?

Several possibilities.  Maybe your terminals are more up-to-date.  VM/IS
is a bit different with regard to terminal handling than VM/SP and
derivatives, maybe that's it.  Or maybe your MAINT has rationalized the
various assorted translate tables so that everything on your machine talks
the same language.  (We looked at rationalizing the terminals with C, but
discovered that that breaks certain other packages, which DO agree with
our terminals, and which are more heavily used.  And for which we don't
have source.)  Or maybe you are using 8-bit comms.  (Note that AD and BD
both need that.)  Our terminal comms net is basically 7-bit ASCII, and
translations need done late (in the FEP).
--
Paul Smee, Univ of Bristol Comp Centre, Bristol BS8 1TW, Tel +44 272 303132
 Smee@bristol.ac.uk  :-)  (..!uunet!ukc!gdr.bath.ac.uk!exspes if you MUST)