[comp.lang.c] TurboC 2.0 Prof vs uSoft C 5.1

Scott_A_Dalrymple@cup.portal.com (12/09/89)

Hello C world!

Pardon me for restarting a debate which has undoubtedly been fought
(probably to a draw) many times before.  Which is better, MicroSoft
C 5.1 and Codeview or TC 2.0 Professional and Turbo Debugger?

I'm thinking of buying one or the other right after the holidays.  I'm
leaning towards TC because I already have Turbo Pascal and like that.

I'll keep this short, but don't let that cause you to think only
mildly interested in this subject.  I really want to hear some good
the masses.  I'm not interested in Quick C or TC (not professional)
because I demand a top notch debugger.  I'm the type that writes without
designing (as much as I should) and then debugs extensively.

Thanks for your input.  Email or post.

Scott Dalrymple          Scott_A_Dalrymple@cup.portal.com
Computer Sciences Corp.  * DISCLAIMER:  If CSC ever found out what I've *
Hanover, MD  21076       * I've said here, they would probably deny it! *

Bob.Stout@p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Stout) (12/10/89)

In an article of <9 Dec 89 04:34:39 GMT>, Scott_A_Dalrymple writes:

 >Pardon me for restarting a debate which has undoubtedly been fought
 >(probably to a draw) many times before.  Which is better, MicroSoft
 >C 5.1 and Codeview or TC 2.0 Professional and Turbo Debugger?

Since you already realize this is a religious issue, let's stick to known
quantities... Even most Microsoft fans recognize that TD is the state of the
art in compiler vendor debuggers. Which, of course, only means that the next
release of CodeView will probably be better. But for right now, I suggest that
your emphasis on debugging combined with the excellence of TD plus your
already having been proselytized into the Borland IDE religion through the use
of TP would argue strongly for your purchasing TC.

As for me, I prefer Zortech...

raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) (12/12/89)

In article <24846@cup.portal.com> Scott_A_Dalrymple@cup.portal.com writes:
>I'm not interested in Quick C or TC (not professional)
>because I demand a top notch debugger.

TC (std) includes an excellent debugger in it's integrated
environment. TC professional adds a standalone debugger and an
assembler. I only use the standalone debugger when my program is too
large to run under the integrated environment.
--
Eric A. Raymond  (raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov)
G7 C7 G7 G#7 G7 G+13 C7 GM7 Am7 Bm7 Bd7 Am7 C7 Do13 G7 C7 G7 D+13: Elmore James

kevin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Kevin Harris) (12/19/89)

In article <5438.2583C869@urchin.fidonet.org> Bob.Stout@p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Stout) writes:
>In an article of <9 Dec 89 04:34:39 GMT>, Scott_A_Dalrymple writes:
>
> >Pardon me for restarting a debate which has undoubtedly been fought
> >(probably to a draw) many times before.  Which is better, MicroSoft
> >C 5.1 and Codeview or TC 2.0 Professional and Turbo Debugger?
>
>Since you already realize this is a religious issue, let's stick to known
>quantities... Even most Microsoft fans recognize that TD is the state of the
>art in compiler vendor debuggers. Which, of course, only means that the next
>release of CodeView will probably be better. But for right now, I suggest that
>your emphasis on debugging combined with the excellence of TD plus your
>already having been proselytized into the Borland IDE religion through the use
>of TP would argue strongly for your purchasing TC.
>
>As for me, I prefer Zortech...

	I hereby register my vote for both TC 2.0 w/debugger and
MS-c 5.1 (althought I really like Codeview.) |->

   |Kevin A. Harris                                              |
   |119th & Broadway; Rm. 212  -or-  kevin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu|
   |New York, N.Y. 10027        ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixf!kevin|

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (12/21/89)

In article <1989Dec19.151531.25554@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> kevin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Kevin Harris) writes:
<	I hereby register my vote for both TC 2.0 w/debugger and
<MS-c 5.1 (althought I really like Codeview.) |->

The votes that count are the votes that come with hard-earned dollars to
*purchase* the product! :-)
Votes count double if they're buying an upgrade!

The compiler wars are won and lost at the cash register.