[comp.lang.c] Not Announcing The Delay Of ANS C

phipps@garth.UUCP (Clay Phipps) (12/21/89)

[A brief reminder provoked by a discussion thread in "comp.lang.c":]

In article <11783@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) wrote:

>When [a book cited by another article as a reference for the existence
>of ANS C] was written, it was expected that ANSI would have ratified
>the C Standard by the time the book appeared.  However, a last-minute
>procedural delay has caused probable ratification to slip until January
>1990 (last I heard).  Details of this delay have been posted previously.
I'm not a religiously regular reader of this news-group, and
my site has had chronic news receipt problems for months now.
However, if the "[d]etails of this delay" were posted under
a "Subject:" line like the one under which this discussion about
the status of the ANS C standard has been occurring:

>Subject: Re: MSC __STDC__ strange value
              ^^^          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it's no wonder that I missed reading it.

Can folks take a little more care with their "Subject:" lines,
so that irregular readers can separate the material of broad interest
from that which appears to be of narrow interest
(in this case, Billionaire Bill's Mess-DOS C compiler :-) ?

This reminder is ironic, because the folks who have the connections to
have the news of broad interest have been posting on the net for years,
and certainly know how to edit "Subject:" lines in article headers.

[I limited follow-ups to "comp.lang.c", via the "Followup-To:" line.]
--
[The foregoing may or may not represent the position, if any, of my employer, ]
[ who is identified solely to allow the reader to account for personal biases.]

Clay Phipps
Intergraph APD: 2400#4 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303; 415/852-2327
UseNet: {apple,ingr,pyramid,sri-unix}!garth!phipps
[^--Please either e-mail replies or allow 16 days for me to see follow-ups :-( ]
EcoNet: cphipps