[comp.lang.c] Soundex ^v^v^ DANGER WILL ROBINSON v^v^v

tony@oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) (12/16/89)

In message <488@hades.OZ>, ing@hades.OZ (Ian Gold) writes:

> I am looking for a 'soundex' routine in C (or C++).

Well, someone already posted the routine, but let me relate a little story
to you.  I grabbed a version of the soundex code and added a soundex index
and search capability to a pupil search query in a test scoring application.
Only took an hour.  We thought it pretty cool on our test data, but our client
was in (deep) southern California, and *most* of the pupils last names were of
Spanish derivation!  (PS: the soundex table is for English pronounciation.)

PPS: The soundex tables can, of course, be tuned for pronunciation.
     Watch out for Chinese characters.  Have fun.

 3
P S: Those ^v^ things are supposed to be Robot moving its arms in and out.

 4
P S: I never did like that show.

--
Yours, etc., Tony Olekshy (...!alberta!oha!tony or tony@oha.UUCP).

SLORES@umiami.miami.edu (Stanislaw L. Olejniczak) (12/21/89)

In article <393@oha.UUCP>, tony@oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) writes:
> I grabbed a version of the soundex code and added a soundex index
> and search capability to a pupil search query in a test scoring application.
> ...but our client
> was in (deep) southern California, and *most* of the pupils last names were of
> Spanish derivation!

While the soundex was derived for Anglo-Saxon names, the Florida Cancer
Data System, the Florida State CAncer Registry, is using soundex quite
effectively in their database maintenance; and I don't have to (though I
will :-) )  tell you that Hispanic surnames abound here.

----
Stan Olejniczak               Internet:         slores@umiami.miami.edu
University of Miami, FL USA   UUCP: (temp void) gould!umbio!solejni
SLORES@UMIAMI.BITNET          UUCP: (?)         umigw!gables!slores
Voice: (305) 547-6571         FAX: (305) 548-4612
My opinions cannot possibly represent the views of anyone else!