[comp.lang.c] DOS make

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (12/16/89)

In article <1989Dec15.021527.18711@sjuphil.uucp> ryan@sjuphil.uucp (Patrick M. Ryan) writes:

>     Is it just my imagination or is the version of Make which comes
>with MSC 5.1 a pitiful imitation of the real Unix Make?

You seem suprised that Microsoft would deliver software like that.  Don't
forget that this is the same company that gave you MS-DOS and now OS/2.

I find Turbo C's make much better in this regard but I get funny problems
with it from time to time.  How about those PD makes?  Can you point me to
a decent one?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.

jpk@myrbost.myrias.com (Joe Keenan) (12/22/89)

In article <1989Dec16.113419.21632@druid.uucp> (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
>I find Turbo C's make much better in this regard but I get funny problems
>with it from time to time.  How about those PD makes?  Can you point me to
>a decent one?

I've had great success with one called NDMake.  Look for NDMAKE45.arc in your
favorite BBS's programming utilities section.

Bob.Stout@p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Stout) (12/24/89)

In an article of <21 Dec 89 18:33:45 GMT>, (Joe Keenan) writes:

 >I've had great success with one called NDMake.  Look for NDMAKE45.arc in
 >your favorite BBS's programming utilities section.

The previously recommended Opus Make (commercial) is a much enhanced direct
decendant of NDMAKE. Aside from additional bells and whistles, Opus offers
much lower memory usage during execution than most other makes. It's the
memory usage issue that's the real Achilles heel of some of the more capable
bundled makes such as the new Microsoft NMAKE or Borland's MAKE. I often do
fairly massive recompilation of libraries driving the various bundled MAKEs
from simple batch files and the only one that's proven to be both capable and
frugal with RAM has been Zortech's. Both NMAKE and Borland's MAKE tend to blow
up partway through with various out of memory errors. NDMAKE is also OK, but
it's hard to imagine large enough sources or cramped enough RAM to choke Opus
Make. BTW, Lugaru also publishes a similarly frugal and generally excellent
make that you should also check out.