[net.sf-lovers] Comments on the Results of the Literary Merit Survey

sorceror@LL.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (09/23/83)

     The results of the literary merit survey suggest to me that many people
have difficulty distinguishing between works of literary merit, and works which
are considered classics according to the canon of the SF field. While many of
the nominations seemed valid, the list also included some of those "classics"
which have never struck me as being literary. Such works have been accorded
their classic status because they introduced ideas which have become important
conventions of the genre, or because they combined and developed old premises in
a particularly skillful way. On the other hand, literary criteria concern both
skillful, sensitive use of language, and the ability to engage the reader in
holistic way.

     Comments, anyone ?

            Having cast a Spell of Fire-Resistance,

                   Karl Heinemann