[comp.lang.c] Signal

bks@alfa.berkeley.edu (Brad Sherman) (01/20/90)

With respect to writing *portable* C:

Has anyone come up with what he/she thinks is a good way to
code signal handling.  Signal names and numbers are not
standardized.  We may wish to enable/ignore them at different
points in a program (without confusing the user of course). Not
all types of signals exist on all systems.

What I am after here is a way to localize (encapsulate?)
signal handling so that accommodating a new C environment
is simplified.  Probably a tougher issue is dealing
with questions of multiple signals arriving in quick
succession, but I welcome input on this as well.

Although I think that this is worthy of an open discussion,
if I receive e-mail I will summarize.
---
	Brad Sherman (bks@alfa.berkeley.edu)
Never attribute to stupidity that which can be explained by greed.

In article <1990Jan19.193917.23671@agate.berkeley.edu> bks@alfa.berkeley.edu (Brad Sherman) writes:
>Has anyone come up with what he/she thinks is a good way to code signal
>handling.  Signal names and numbers are not standardized.

Sure they are.  X3J11 standardized 6 of them, and 1003.1 another 13.

>Not all types of signals exist on all systems.

My recommendation is to use POSIX as a base, and on non-Standard systems,
attempt to emulate the POSIX behavior (by returning an error code for
inappropriate signal values, for example).

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl@haddock.isc.com or ima!haddock!karl), The Walking Lint