[comp.lang.c] Ratfor

val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner) (06/28/88)

     Does anyone out there have a public domain program (in C or FORTRAN)
     to convert RATFOR to FORTRAN and/or C.

	  Thanks in advance,
		-=:[ VAL ]:=-
--
----  /\  ----------------------------------------------------------------
     /\/\  .    /\     |  Val Kartchner  {UT@WSC}  |  'vi' must go, this

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (06/30/88)

In article <588@wsccs.UUCP>, val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner) writes:

>      Does anyone out there have a public domain program (in C or FORTRAN)
>      to convert RATFOR to FORTRAN and/or C.

RATFOR converts RATFOR to FORTRAN -- that's its job.  It's just a
pre-processor.  It's described in detail in the book "Software Tools"
bu Kernighan and Plauger (there are two editions -- one uses Fortran
and one uses Pascal).

Despite its age this is *still* a fine book -- it teaches you the Unix
concept of software tools and explains the underlying philosophy.  It's
a MUST if you haven't read it or an equivalent (is there one?).

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

fpst@hubcap.UUCP (Steve Stevenson) (06/30/88)

From article <588@wsccs.UUCP>, by val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner):
>      Does anyone out there have a public domain program (in C or FORTRAN)
>      to convert RATFOR to FORTRAN and/or C.

Ratfor should produce Fortan source.
See you friendly unix guru

--
Steve Stevenson                            fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu
(aka D. E. Stevenson),                     fpst@prism.clemson.csnet

aitken@svax.cs.cornell.edu (William Aitken) (07/01/88)

In article <12235@ut-sally.UUCP> nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:

>RATFOR converts RATFOR to FORTRAN -- that's its job.  It's just a
>pre-processor.  It's described in detail in the book "Software Tools"
>bu Kernighan and Plauger (there are two editions -- one uses Fortran
>and one uses Pascal).

Note however that only the Fortran version talks about the RATFOR translator
since Pascal has the facilities that RATFOR provides for FORTRAN already.

William E. Aitken <aitken@svax.cs.cornell.edu>        (607)257-2542(h)
  {uw-beaver,ihnp4,vax135,decvax}!cornell!aitken      (607)255-4222(o)
  aitken@crnlcs.BITNET               700 Warren Rd. #20-2A, Ithaca, NY
  42 26'30" N 76 29'00" W                              4148 Upson Hall

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (07/01/88)

In article <2068@hubcap.UUCP> fpst@hubcap.UUCP (Steve Stevenson) writes:
>From article <588@wsccs.UUCP>, by val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner):
>>      Does anyone out there have a public domain program (in C or FORTRAN)
>>      to convert RATFOR to FORTRAN and/or C.
>
>Ratfor should produce Fortan source.
>See you friendly unix guru

    Yes, but the intermediate Fortran is not exactly something I would want
to replace the ratfor with!  It has been some time since I used Ratfor, but
it produced Fortran IV, not f77 output.  Perhaps some means of converting
Ratfor to f77 is what the poster was after.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (07/03/88)

|    Yes, but the intermediate Fortran is not exactly something I would want
|to replace the ratfor with!  It has been some time since I used Ratfor, but
|it produced Fortran IV, not f77 output.  Perhaps some means of converting
|Ratfor to f77 is what the poster was after.

There was a Ratfor to Fortran or F77 converter in C posted to
comp.sources.something a few months back. Check your nearest archive. The
mods to make the K&P Ratfor generate F77 are not too difficult to
figure out anyway.

	Ken

becker@ziebmef.uucp (Bruce Becker) (07/04/88)

In article <3630@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
>In article <2068@hubcap.UUCP> fpst@hubcap.UUCP (Steve Stevenson) writes:
>>From article <588@wsccs.UUCP>, by val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner):
>>>      Does anyone out there have a public domain program (in C or FORTRAN)
>>>      to convert RATFOR to FORTRAN and/or C.
>>
>>Ratfor should produce Fortan source.
>>See you friendly unix guru
>
>    Yes, but the intermediate Fortran is not exactly something I would want
>to replace the ratfor with!  It has been some time since I used Ratfor, but
>it produced Fortran IV, not f77 output.  Perhaps some means of converting
>Ratfor to f77 is what the poster was after.

>George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
>..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207
>Phone: (813) 530-2376				P.O. Box 2826

	Some time ago I rewrote RATFOR to emit Fortran77 code, and, while
	I was at it, speeded it up about 4-5 times, and extended the language
	somewhat. This was for a MVS IBM mainframe system under ISPF,
	so that RATFOR (or RATF77 as it was known) was part of a the
	production environment. This resulted in a much better usage
	of Fortran facilities, although had a reasonable version of 'C'
	been available, it would have been preferable...

		The project of converting RATFOR to C ws considered, but never
	undertaken - It doesn't seem in retrospect to be a greatly
	difficult project, as the RATFOR compiler has most of
	the parts in it to be modified to the new target... The biggest
	part is the addition of a symbol table & its management...

Bruce Becker
UUCP: ...!unicus!becker!bdb, ...!lsuc!humvax!becker, ...!ncrcan!ziebmef!becker
BitNet: BECKER@HUMBER.BITNET

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (07/06/88)

In article <1988Jul4.121340.5376@ziebmef.uucp> becker@ziebmef.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>In article <3630@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
>>In article <2068@hubcap.UUCP> fpst@hubcap.UUCP (Steve Stevenson) writes:
>>>From article <588@wsccs.UUCP>, by val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner):

I just received a letter about "The C Users Journal (tm)".  It claims that
among the recent articles was "A review of a RATFOR to C Translator."
Anyone interested might like to get in touch with
	The C Users' Group,
	P.O.Box 97,
	McPherson
	KS 67460
I have no affiliation with the C Users' Group and have not seen
"The C Users Journal (tm)" and recommend neither; I'm just passing it on.

csinger@cs.ubc.ca (Andrew Csinger) (02/09/90)

(I am posting for a friend, and will forward any messages.)

Does anyone know of a way to translate Ratfor to C?  Is the Ratfor source
around that can be modified to produce C instead of Fortran?  My problem
is that I am stuck with 200,000 lines of Fortran written in Ratfor. There
are existing solutions to translate Fortran to C, but the Fortran which
Ratfor produces is "unstructured"  to say the least.  The thought of re-
translating this to C is unpalatable.  Any ideas?

Greg.

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (02/11/90)

> Does anyone know of a way to translate Ratfor to C?  Is the Ratfor source
> around that can be modified to produce C instead of Fortran?  My problem
> is that I am stuck with 200,000 lines of Fortran written in Ratfor. There
> are existing solutions to translate Fortran to C, but the Fortran which
Get the book,  "Software tools", by Plauger, et.al.  It gives a ratfor to
fortran routine.  I have looked at ratfor.  It probably could be converted
with little more than a set of macros, and a couple of passes through a
standalone C preprocessor.  I am sure that the source for Ratfor exists
outhereout here in net-land.  I believe that I have seen it on some PC boards,
aand perhaps Scott Guthrie, at the Austin Code Works, in Austin TX. (advertises
in Dr. Dobbs Journal) will have it.

Cheers
Woody