[comp.lang.c] Keypressed exists?

ron@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Ronald Beekelaar) (02/04/90)

Hi

  I have a very simple question, although I can't find the answer myself. How
do you quietly test whether any key was pressed on the keyboard? I want to
write a function that waits 10 seconds, if any key had been pressed, but
doesn't wait at all, if none was pressed.

  Any help would be appreciated.
--
------
ron

brianh@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (brian_helterline) (02/06/90)

>Hi

>  I have a very simple question, although I can't find the answer myself. How
>do you quietly test whether any key was pressed on the keyboard? I want to
>write a function that waits 10 seconds, if any key had been pressed, but
>doesn't wait at all, if none was pressed.

>  Any help would be appreciated.
>--
>------
>ron
>------
>----------

	In MSC 5.1 use the _bios_keybrd() function to accomplish what
	who want.

tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) (02/11/90)

ron@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Ronald Beekelaar) writes:

>Hi

>  I have a very simple question, although I can't find the answer myself. How
>do you quietly test whether any key was pressed on the keyboard? I want to
>write a function that waits 10 seconds, if any key had been pressed, but
>doesn't wait at all, if none was pressed.

In Microsoft C V5.1 you can use the functions kbhit () and getch ().
See section 4.8.3 in the run-time library reference book.

--
				Sincerely Yours
				Tris Orendorff

raw@math.arizona.edu (Rich Walters) (02/15/90)

In article <1990Feb10.190053.15413@alzabo.uucp> tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) writes:
>ron@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Ronald Beekelaar) writes:
>
>>Hi
>
>>  I have a very simple question, although I can't find the answer myself. How
>>do you quietly test whether any key was pressed on the keyboard? I want to
>>write a function that waits 10 seconds, if any key had been pressed, but
>>doesn't wait at all, if none was pressed.
>
>In Microsoft C V5.1 you can use the functions kbhit () and getch ().
>See section 4.8.3 in the run-time library reference book.

Unix BSD has something similar but you must use cbreak mode which entails a lot
of other overhead. Like reading the termcap/terminfo file and doing all kinds
of setup yourself.  Most of what you need is included, but I don't remember
where off the top of my head.

			Richard Walter

			Keep crunching those numbers