[comp.lang.c] comp.lang.yacc

martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) (02/27/90)

In article <751@s5.Morgan.COM> amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
>In article <647@mwtech.UUCP>, martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:
[some lines deleted]

>> Do we need comp.lang.yacc?
>>
>Yes, or something like it. The group should not be devoted only to C
>(yacc-lex-bison-flex-...) but to language construction techniques in
>general.

But not too broad or too theoretical. (I have in fact found many
people that could use lex+yacc with profit, but don't do, because
they think theese tools are too difficult to handle, without
enormeous theoretical background.)

>I think a pool of experience in this area would be an admirable
>supplement to the anecdotal texts which are presently available. What
>say someone calls for discussion.
>
>Also: There will be a 'name the baby' crisis here. comp.lang.yacc
>seems to have no claim to be preferred over comp.lang.bison, or
>comp.lang.lex, etc..

What about comp.lang.lang -- this would emphasize we are discussing
languages to build languages .... (only an idea).

>Later,
>Andrew Mullhaupt

Any volunteers to work out CALL FOR DISCUSSION in n.a.n?
(You have my 'yes'-vote, no matter what the name is.)

P.S.: It would be time to redirect Folowups now, but as I have
started to use the news system just a few months ago, I'm not
sure to which group.
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin@mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83