[comp.lang.c] Nested comments yet again.

kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu (02/24/90)

The big annoyance with nested comts to me would be the following:

(a) Quoted strings must be recognized; "/*" wothin a string is a
common practice.

(b) Given this, single-quoted strings will probably be recognized as
well, for the sake of consistency.

(c) /* This won't work. */

Given that #ifdef NEVER ... #endif can serve the same purpose, then
what's the point?

A-T

machaffi@fred.cs.washington.edu (Scott MacHaffie) (02/24/90)

In article <4700047@m.cs.uiuc.edu> kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>(b) Given this, single-quoted strings will probably be recognized as
>well, for the sake of consistency.

Single-quoted strings?  I've heard of single-quoted characters, but not
single-quoted strings.  Is this some new invention or just a slip of
the keyboard?

kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu (02/28/90)

>Single-quoted strings?  I've heard of single-quoted characters, but not
>single-quoted strings.  Is this some new invention or just a slip of
>the keyboard?

It's a common extension that many compilers allow.  A multicharacter
constant such as 'ABC' has a value of some integer type, and
represents a machine word with the characters in it in some
appropriate ordering.

The ANS, if I remember aright, allows compilers to accept
multicharacter constants but leaves their type and value to be
implementation-defined.

Kevin	KE9TV