[net.sf-lovers] sri-arpa.11908: Merit Survey Results

jtb@phs.UUCP (09/26/83)

     I am provoked into rising to the defense of the literary merit of sci-fi.
I agree no work of science fiction is even in the same class as Moby Dick or
War and Peace but then what modern mainstream work is?  I would maintain
that no "GREAT" novel has been written since the two named above.  If
we compare science fiction to mainstream works written in the same period
I would say that the best science fiction (Tolkien, LeGuin) is supieror to
mainstream writting and the average level is equal to the average mainstream
work.  Remember in evaluating the average mainstream work we have to include
the run of the mill dectective and spy trash.

 Jose Torre-Bueno
 decvax!duke!phs!jtb

juracan@ihldt.UUCP (Teodoro Alonso) (09/28/83)

>I agree no work of science fiction is even in the same class as Moby Dick or
>War and Peace but then what modern mainstream work is?  I would maintain
>that no "GREAT" novel has been written since the two named above.

Perhaps I should refresh your memory Jose, by mentioning "One Hundred Years
of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez in 1970. This novel has been called
"The Modern Don Quixote" by many critics.

					Teodoro Alonso
					(ihnp4!ihldt!juracan)

ps- OHYOS originated the literary style called "Fantastic Realism". So
OHYOS could be considered F & SF novel to a certain degree.

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (09/29/83)

    "I am provoked into rising to the defense of the literary merit of sci-fi."

How can anybody who calls it by that despicable name rise in defense of it?
--
John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas
{ihnp4,kpno,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq, jsq@ut-sally.{ARPA,UUCP}