[comp.lang.c] open this package and you're stuck with it

nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) (02/15/90)

   I recently posted some problems I've had with the Zortech compiler.

   Another larger question to ask is why this industry insists on
   shipping beta-quality products as finshed products.   When I got
   my Zortech Rev 2.0 package the disk envelope seal was already broken!!!
   I called Zortech and they said that THEY opened the package to insert
   some disks with some last minute changes.   Now they're shipping a
   version 2.06 to fix some more problems.    When I got my QuickC version
   1.00 I found lots of problems, SOME of which were fixed in the vers.
   1.01 that Microsoft shipped a month or so later.    This kind of stuff
   is endemic in the PC business.

   Part of the problem is that the manufacturers are abusing the
   "you open it, you can't return it" clause on their packaging.
   The implicit licensing agreement is supposed to protect them
   from unauthorized copying but it provides them with an excuse
   to ship expensive junky products knowing that they can't be
   returned.  If I spend $350 on a TV and I'm not satisfied I can
   return it; if I spend $350 on a C++ compiler I'm stuck with it
   no matter how dissatisfying it is.    This has to change.  Software
   is an increasingly big business and consumers of software deserve
   the same rights and protections that they get for other products.

   [ some wise-ass is bound to point out that you don't really
     buy the software, you just buy a license to use it.  Fine,
     whatever.  So if I'm not satisfied with my license then
     I ought to have the right to return it for a refund.   ]

   As a software developer I'm very sensitive to the need to protect
   the company and to ensure that it is compensated for its work.
   But it is not clear that allowing the return of an unsatisfying
   product would make the illicit copying problem any worse than
   it already is, nor is it clear that we are fully exploiting all
   possible technological fixes to that problem.   Moreover, as a
   software developer and consumer of software I'm also sensitive
   to the need to improve the quality of the stuff I'm shelling
   out my money for.   I believe that the right to return (for refund)
   unsatisfying products will create a rapid improvement in quality.

                                                 ---Peter

   PS  -- Who administers consumer protection laws?  I have
          a feeling that they are state functions but they seem
          to be fairly uniform; is the federal government involved?

hankin@sauron.osf.org (Scott Hankin) (02/15/90)

nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:

>   If I spend $350 on a TV and I'm not satisfied I can return it; if
>   I spend $350 on a C++ compiler I'm stuck with it no matter how
>   dissatisfying it is.  This has to change.

    Sometimes it's just a matter of where you get what you get.  MacConnection,
    for example, lists lots and lots of items (the overwhelming majority, in
    fact) which come with 30, 60 and 90 day guarantees - if you don't like
    them, return them for a refund.  I know that MacConnection is run by the
    same folks who run PC Connection (at least at some level) so perhaps they
    do the same thing.  This is their response to customer demand.  It makes
    them more competitive than others in the same business.

    I don't know how they work this out with the actual producers, because some
    of them don't offer any guarantee at all (MacInTax, for example - although
    I might be able to see the reasoning there) and I believe that it is up to
    the vendor just how much guarantee they offer.

    Legislation is seldom the answer to problems eventually solved by the
    marketplace.

- Scott

------------------------------
Scott Hankin  (hankin@osf.org)
Open Software Foundation

daniel@saturn.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) (02/15/90)

In article <48a44d7c.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:

>   Part of the problem is that the manufacturers are abusing the
>   "you open it, you can't return it" clause on their packaging.
>   ...if I spend $350 on a C++ compiler I'm stuck with it
>   no matter how dissatisfying it is.

Having developed software for such a company I share your views.

>   As a software developer I'm very sensitive to the need to protect
>   the company and to ensure that it is compensated for its work.
>   But it is not clear that allowing the return of an unsatisfying
>   product would make the illicit copying problem any worse than
>   it already is, nor is it clear that we are fully exploiting all
>   possible technological fixes to that problem.

Limiting software to a particular period of time or number of
executions appears difficult, especially on PCs, but even on
workstations. And the problem with crippling the software until
the person knows they want it means they don't really get to
try it out. If we could find a good solution it would be really
useful.

>                                                 ---Peter

daniel

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (02/15/90)

Don't forget Microsoft's Law (also known as Gates' Rule):

If it ends in ".0", don't buy it.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.              sullivan@aqdata.uucp

jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) (02/15/90)

In article <3733@paperboy.OSF.ORG> hankin@sauron.osf.org (Scott Hankin) writes:
>nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:
>    I don't know how they work this out with the actual producers, because some
>    of them don't offer any guarantee at all (MacInTax, for example - although
>    I might be able to see the reasoning there) and I believe that it is up to
>    the vendor just how much guarantee they offer.

The way PC Connection "works" this out with the producer is by sticking a label on the
outside of the package which says "if you open it you're stuck with it.  Go
complaint to the original company".  That's what was on the Microsoft Quick
C product which I just bought.

Jim Vallino	Siemens Corporate Research, Inc., Princeton, NJ
jrv@demon.siemens.com
princeton!siemens!demon!jrv
(609) 734-3331

[redirect this thread to comp.misc]

In article <10760@saturn.ucsc.edu> daniel@saturn.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) writes:
> Limiting software to a particular period of time or number of
> executions appears difficult, especially on PCs, but even on
> workstations.

A particular number of executions, I can believe. But a particular period
of time is no big deal. Everything you send through the mail or buy in a
store is timestamped (either via the cancellation or on your receipt), so
allowing people a 30 or so day trial period seems fairly easy. Other goods
are sold that way.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

gwollman@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Garrett A Wollman) (02/16/90)

In article <10760@saturn.ucsc.edu> daniel@saturn.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) writes:

>Limiting software to a particular period of time or number of
>executions appears difficult, especially on PCs, but even on
>workstations. And the problem with crippling the software until
>the person knows they want it means they don't really get to
>try it out. If we could find a good solution it would be really
>useful.

I think that Vermont Creative Software has found a neat solution to
this, at least for developers... If you don't like their package
*after any length of time*, you can send it back.  Since they (obviously)
can tell whether or not a given package contains their code, it
is not too dangerous for them to do this.

-GAWollman
"Boy! two articles in one day!"
(independent C programmer)

--
"All societies are based on rules to protect pregnant women and children.
 . . . As racial survival is the only universal morality, no other bases

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (02/16/90)

From article <48a44d7c.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, by nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson):

>    ...  manufacturers are abusing the
>    "you open it, you can't return it" clause on their packaging.

I would be interested to hear from some lawyer-types on this issue.
I was under the impression that just about every state has an
'implied warranty' law which would nullify the statement on the
shrink-wrap package if the product is demonstrably defective.

But then you probably would not go through the hassle of trying to
recover the cost if they stone-walled you, so the point is moot.
I for one have never bought a product bearing such a statement,
and I probably never will.

[ Followups should go elsewhere. Where? ]

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (02/16/90)

So go see a demo before you buy!  That's what you do with a $350 TV, don't you?

I never bought a TV without examining it at the store, why should you?

Dave "Leona" Decot

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (02/20/90)

In article <1990Feb15.010300.16896@aqdata.uucp> sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:

>Don't forget Microsoft's Law (also known as Gates' Rule):
>
>If it ends in ".0", don't buy it.

[
Also known, around here, as Tommy's Translation:
	"How do you write a 'beta?': .0"
]

WordPerfect has extended this to

	If it ends in "5.1", don't buy it.

for exactly the same reason(s).

kEITHe

arw@stiatl.UUCP (Allan Watkins) (02/20/90)

In article <6895@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
> In article <1990Feb15.010300.16896@aqdata.uucp> sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
>
> >Don't forget Microsoft's Law (also known as Gates' Rule):
> >
> >If it ends in ".0", don't buy it.
>
> [
> Also known, around here, as Tommy's Translation:
> 	"How do you write a 'beta?': .0"
> ]
         {slur on WordPerfect deleted}
> kEITHe

      "The earliest Christians get the hungriest lions..."
                                 Mark 6:15:32 (hut,hut,hike)
Allan Watkins                                             gatech!stiatl!arw
Sales Technologies, Inc
3399 Peachtree Rd, NE
Atlanta, GA  (404) 841-4000               Go Gators!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     "Nobody loves me like my mother .... but she might be jiving too."
                                                              BBK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) (02/20/90)

Scott Hankin  (hankin@osf.org) posts...

>>   If I spend $350 on a TV and I'm not satisfied I can return it; if
>>   I spend $350 on a C++ compiler I'm stuck with it no matter how
>>   dissatisfying it is.  This has to change.
>
>    Sometimes it's just a matter of where you get what you get.  MacConnection,
>    for example, lists lots and lots of items (the overwhelming majority, in
>    fact) which come with 30, 60 and 90 day guarantees - if you don't like
>    them, return them for a refund. I know that MacConnection is run by the
>    same folks who run PC Connection (at least at some level) so perhaps they
>    do the same thing.  This is their response to customer demand.  It makes
>    them more competitive than others in the same business.
>
>    I don't know how they work this out with the actual producers, because some
>    of them don't offer any guarantee at all (MacInTax, for example - although
>    I might be able to see the reasoning there) and I believe that it is up to
>    the vendor just how much guarantee they offer.
>
>    Legislation is seldom the answer to problems eventually solved by the
>    marketplace.

  Agreed.  But in the PC world, at least, the marketplace has failed to
  solve this problem.   I called PC Connection to ask why they don't offer
  this arrangement for PC products and they said that for the Mac products
  the arrangement is made individually with each supplier.   It seems
  they have had difficulties convincing suppliers of PC software of the
  benefits of this system.  Maybe consumers of Mac products are more
  demanding of quality or reliability in the products they buy?

  Also, we shouldn't be too quick to assume it is the marketplace which is
  responsible for our being able to get refunds on defective products.
  Many states have "implied warranty" laws.   Basically these say that
  no product can be sold "as is" or "without warranty".   If a product
  proves to be defective or fails to be whatever it represents itself to be
  on the packaging, then the consumer can get his money back.  According
  to Steve Poitrast, a lawyer with the Massachusetts Attorney General's
  office with whom I spoke last week, the existing "implied warranty" law
  in Massachusetts should also cover software.   He added that he's not
  aware of whether this has ever been tested in court.

  [  BTW, this has gotten off of 'C'.   Is there an appropriate comp.?
     forum for a topic like this?   ]

                                                         ---Peter

drd@siia.mv.com (David Dick) (02/21/90)

nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:

>   Another larger question to ask is why this industry insists on
>   shipping beta-quality products as finshed products.

If software consumers and magazine reviewers weren't so
all-fired impressed with long feature lists maybe developers
could concentrate on quality not quantity.

However, as it is, any developer who produces a product with
a few well-thought-out and well-implemented features is guaranteed
to lose against the product with a long feature list; the length
of the bug list is irrelevant.

David Dick
Software Innovations, Inc. [the Software Moving Company (sm)]

jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (02/21/90)

The problem with returning software you don't like is that there is a very
fuzzy line between "doesn't work" and "doesn't work as cleanly/elegantly
as I would like it to."  If you buy an editor, let's say, and it's quite
kludgy: it uses idiotic key sequences, non-standard menus, and so forth.
You can't stand using it.  Yet it does all this with no "bugs."  Should you
be able to return it for a refund?

If you answer yes to the above, does this mean that you should be able to
return any book that you buy but don't like?

Jim

pierson@encore.com (Dan L. Pierson) (02/22/90)

In article <777@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:

   If you answer yes to the above, does this mean that you should be able to
   return any book that you buy but don't like?

No, it means that I should either be able to open the book and look
trough it at the bookstore until I'm convinced it's worth buying or
that the reputable mail-order dealer I'm ordering from will provide
a money-back guarantee.  I find that both are common practice.  With
software:

    1. You can't tell if it's a piece of junk before you open it and
       try to use it.

    2. The author/manufacturer explicitly refuses to claim that it
       isn't said piece of junk.
--

                                            dan

In real life: Dan Pierson, Encore Computer Corporation, Research
UUCP: {talcott,linus,necis,decvax}!encore!pierson
Internet: pierson@encore.com

mjt@nagshead.ncsc.org (Mike Tighe) (02/22/90)

In article <777@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:
>The problem with returning software you don't like is that there is a very
>fuzzy line between "doesn't work" and "doesn't work as cleanly/elegantly
>as I would like it to."  If you buy an editor, let's say, and it's quite
>kludgy: it uses idiotic key sequences, non-standard menus, and so forth.
>You can't stand using it.  Yet it does all this with no "bugs."  Should you
>be able to return it for a refund?

Yes.

>If you answer yes to the above, does this mean that you should be able to
>return any book that you buy but don't like?

Yes. At either Waldenbooks or B. Dalton, I can return any book for any
reason within 30 days of purchase, no questions asked.

Also, I have been to many a restaurant that will not charge me if I am not
pleased with the food or service (and I don't have to give the food back
:-))

This is good business sense. Because of liberal policies like these, I
frequent these shops often. I avoid other places that have policies such as
"all sales final".
--
---
Michael Tighe, mjt@ncsc.org

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (02/22/90)

:From article <777@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, by jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann):

> If you answer yes to the above, does this mean that you should be able to
> return any book that you buy but don't like?

At least I can browse through a book in a bookstore before buying it.
I can also borrow a friend's copy of the book as well as check them out
at a library.  The analogy starts falling apart.
--

rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ronald Guilmette) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb21.023933.16658@siia.mv.com> drd@siia.mv.com (David Dick) writes:
>nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:
>

>>   Another larger question to ask is why this industry insists on
>>   shipping beta-quality products as finshed products.
>
>If software consumers and magazine reviewers weren't so
>all-fired impressed with long feature lists maybe developers
>could concentrate on quality not quantity.
>
>However, as it is, any developer who produces a product with
>a few well-thought-out and well-implemented features is guaranteed
>to lose against the product with a long feature list; the length
>of the bug list is irrelevant.

That is quite true in one respect.  Ask yourself "Irrelevant to whom?"

It appears to me that the problem cannot be blamed just on magazine
reviewers, but upon all the bloody *consumers*.

Every company that is producing either hardware or software products
has an internal (semi-secret) bug list.  Some of these companies will
actually give you their lists if you needle them enough before you
but their product.  Most however deny that such lists even exist!
Their tech-support people are trained to say "Bugs?  What bugs?"

The bad news is that most consumers of such products are too dumb
to insist on seeing these lists (or are too dumb to even ask for them
in the first place).  This longstanding tradition has given rise to
a situation in which the sellers have most of the leverage on this
issue.  Often you (as a consumer) are not in a position to insist
on being provided with a bug list for a given product, because the seller
knows that if you go to his competitors, they will not give you *their*
lists either.

The good news is that there are some encouraging counter-trends.  I think
that here in my home state of California, there is now a so-called
"lemmon law" that says that sellers of used-cars must provide the
consumer with a list of known major defects.  Back in the computer realm,
there is one publication (The Microprocessor Report) which is now arm-
twisting the major microprocessor vendors to make the bug lists for
their micro-processors public information (rather than trying to
play the old shell game of denying that any bugs exist).  As I understand
it, The Microprocessor Report has actually had several successes in
getting microprocessor vendors to pledge to make their bugs lists available
for publication.

So why doesn't this happen more often?  I guess it's because most people
who *buy* hardware and software get bleary-eyed looking at the features
and forget about the possibility that a sufficiently large qualtity of
bugs can make all of those features useless.

I for one will *never* buy another piece of hardware or software (with
my own money) until I get a bug list in advance.  Would anyone else care
to join this one man boycott of companies with "secret" bug lists?
Perhaps what we really need is a "lemmon law" for software. :-)

// Ron Guilmette (rfg@ics.uci.edu)
// C++ Entomologist
// Motto:  If it sticks, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

sdroppers@pbs.uucp (Seton Droppers) (02/22/90)

In article <777@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:
> The problem with returning software you don't like is that there is a very
> fuzzy line between "doesn't work" and "doesn't work as cleanly/elegantly
> as I would like it to."  If you buy an editor, let's say, and it's quite
> kludgy: it uses idiotic key sequences, non-standard menus, and so forth.
> You can't stand using it.  Yet it does all this with no "bugs."  Should you
> be able to return it for a refund?
>
> If you answer yes to the above, does this mean that you should be able to
> return any book that you buy but don't like?
>
> Jim

If we were talking about $5.00 to $50.00 investments I would agree.  And for a
really expensive book I can usually check it out of a library before I
purchase, if I really want to make sure that I want to purchase it.  When
software runs $100 to $750 a shot I tend to want to be careful with my money.

My personal guess is that the software companies are more upset at the thought
of one purchasing a package, loading it on their hard disk, and then
"returning" the package.  Cars, microwave ovens, VCRs, etc. all have something
tangible to return -- it is really hard to return a VCR and continue to get use
out of it.
--
Seton Droppers  -- "Anything that I say is my opinion and not my employer's."
Public Broadcasting Service, 1320 Braddock Pl. Alexandria, VA 22314

In article <6394.25e39baf@pbs.uucp> sdroppers@pbs.uucp (Seton Droppers) writes:
> Cars, microwave ovens, VCRs, etc. all have something
> tangible to return -- it is really hard to return a VCR
> and continue to get use out of it.

This is a friend-of-a-friend story, but I have met the principals. There
are people who will buy a video camera, use it to record a birthday or
other event, then return it to the store claiming it was too complex
for them to figure out (or some other excuse). I would say they get more
use out of the resulting tape than someone who's got the latest version
of all the hot applications neatly filed away on floppies.

Nobody copy-protects video cameras.

The solution is to convince people that piracy is equally slimey.
--

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/23/90)

In article <2550117@hpisod2.HP.COM> decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
> So go see a demo before you buy! That's what you do with a $350 TV, don't you?
> I never bought a TV without examining it at the store, why should you?

Dave, you struck a small nerve with this statement.

Have you ever seen a software product that you would be interested in at
a retail store?  You might have well stocked software stores where you
live, but that is not true nationwide.  There is not a computer store
within 400 miles of my house that knows what a tape drive or a postscript
is, let alone a C compiler or a linker.  Stores stock only what sells,
quality and functionality are not part of the profit formula.

TV's, on the other hand, are quite popular locally. Also, TV's are tightly
regulated by the FCC, UL, and the FTC as to what they are allowed and not
allowed to do.  There is no quality or functional regulations for software.
You can sell a total piece of fraud as software and be in the legal right
because you sell a "right to use" or "object code".

I can go see a TV demo, but I cannot see a software demo.  I can evaluate a
TV picture, but, in general, not software.

As a result, I buy everything computer related by mail order, and I hope
that the savings out weigh the cost of the klinkers that I occasionally
end up with.

-john-

                    "Never purchase software that is not
                    commonly pirated 'cause you don't want
                    it if the pirates don't want it..."

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (02/27/90)

In article <48a44d7c.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:
$   [ some wise-ass is bound to point out that you don't really
$     buy the software, you just buy a license to use it.  Fine,
$     whatever.  So if I'm not satisfied with my license then
$     I ought to have the right to return it for a refund.   ]

   If your laws are like they are in Ontario, then you do _not_ have
a right to return anything for a refund.  If a store offers refunds,
that's just fine and dandy, but there is no such legal requirement.
Things may be different in other provinces or states, but that's the
way it is here.

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

ned@pebbles.cad.mcc.com (Ned Nowotny) (02/27/90)

In article <48a44d7c.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:

>   Another larger question to ask is why this industry insists on
>   shipping beta-quality products as finshed products.   When I got
>   my Zortech Rev 2.0 package the disk envelope seal was already broken!!!
>   I called Zortech and they said that THEY opened the package to insert
>   some disks with some last minute changes.   Now they're shipping a
>   version 2.06 to fix some more problems.

Generally speaking, I agree with your complaint.  However, you should not
be too hard on Zortech because of their C++ compiler.  After all, there are
no correct implementations of C++ anywhere in the known world.  In fact,
there can't be.  Even if all of the known bugs in the quintessential
reference implementation of C++ were fixed, the language itself is still
incompletely defined.

While I like several of the features C++ offers, I can not recommend it for
general use.  If you are looking for compilers which should live up to
reasonable expectations of merchantability, I would have to suggest that
you stick to languages with both well defined standards and a good many
years of implementation experience behind them.

On the other hand, if you want the features that C++ offers with a fair
degree of compatibility with existing C development environments, then by
all means use C++.  But remember, "you pays your money and you takes your
chances."

Ned Nowotny, MCC CAD Program, Box 200195, Austin, TX  78720  Ph: (512) 338-3715
ARPA: ned@mcc.com                   UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!ned
"We have ways to make you scream." - Intel advertisement in the June 1989 DDJ.

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) (03/01/90)

In article <777@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:
>If you answer yes to the above, does this mean that you should be able to
>return any book that you buy but don't like?
In terms of many OOP books --yes!

mjensen@bbn.com (Martin Jensen) (03/01/90)

In article <777@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:
>The problem with returning software you don't like is that there is a very
>fuzzy line between "doesn't work" and "doesn't work as cleanly/elegantly
>as I would like it to."  If you buy an editor, let's say, and it's quite
>kludgy: it uses idiotic key sequences, non-standard menus, and so forth.
>You can't stand using it.  Yet it does all this with no "bugs."  Should you
>be able to return it for a refund?

Yes!

I would say "No" if the user had been given a chance  to  fully  evaluate  the
product  beforehand,  however,  the  fact  remains  that  there  is usually no
accurate way to evaluate a product  before  the  purchase.   Software  vendors
would  have  us  buy  their  products based on their description and assesment
("Our product is GREAT! Everyone  LOVES  it!!   Buy  it  now!!!")  or  on  the
judgement of an "independent" evaluation by a third party.

Taking  editors  as  an  example, if we were to read all the evaluations on pc
based editors we would come down to  the  choice  between,  say,  Epsilon  and
Brief.   If  we don't have access to a copy of each, the choice becomes a coin
toss -- hardly an informed choice, nor a particularly smart  way  to  spend  a
couple of hundred dollars.

Would  you  buy  a  car without taking a test drive?  Highly unlikely.  Unless
software vendors can find a means of  giving  the  user  a  proper  chance  to
evaluate  a product (Say a full featured copy of an editor, but one that won't
write the file .. That way you can evaluate all its features and  capabilities
without  actually  getting  a  working  copy.)  I  think  we  all should start
insisting on warranties that extend beyond the removal of the shrink wrap.

Enough people made enough noise to get copy protection removed ... maybe we
get the right to evaluate before we buy.

>If you answer yes to the above, does this mean that you should be able to
>return any book that you buy but don't like?

As to the book analogy ... I can quite legally borrow a copy from the local
public library ... try doing that with your favorite editor.

    /|  /|
   / | / |          -/-             Martin Jensen  (mjensen@bbn.com)
  /  |/  |  _   _   /  o __         BBN Communications Corp.
 /       |_(_(_/ (_/(_(_() )        Cambridge, MA  02140

CMH117@psuvm.psu.edu (Charles Hannum) (03/01/90)

In article <52780@bbn.COM>, mjensen@bbn.com (Martin Jensen) says:

>Enough people made enough noise to get copy protection removed ... maybe we
>get the right to evaluate before we buy.

Hooray for ShareWare!!

Virtually,
- Charles Martin Hannum II       "Klein bottle for sale ... inquire within."
    (That's Charles to you!)     "To life immortal!"
  cmh117@psuvm.{bitnet,psu.edu}  "No noozzzz izzz netzzzsnoozzzzz..."
  c9h@psuecl.{bitnet,psu.edu}    "Mem'ry, all alone in the moonlight ..."

sanders@sanders.austin.ibm.com (Tony Sanders) (03/07/90)

In article <52780@bbn.COM> mjensen@cc4.bbn.com (Martin Jensen) writes:
>As to the book analogy ... I can quite legally borrow a copy from the local
>public library ... try doing that with your favorite editor.
No problem.  Just go to the local software rental place, 3 bucks and
you get a fully functioning copy of just about anything you want.

Do you have software rental stores in your area? Is there a demand for them?
Maybe you should think about starting your own business?

-- sanders                The 11th commandment: "Thou shalt use lint"
"she was an innocent bystander, it's a democracy" -- Jim Morrison