[comp.lang.c] Is lint maintained?

dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) (03/07/90)

I have a question for Unix vendors out there.  Is your lint
maintained?  By this, has your lint received any improvements
other than emergency bug fixes since you first released it,
or received the tape from AT&T?

If so, is there some way that you can get it to shut up
about everything, including casts of malloc?

Background: 'lint' is frequently referred to by C users
when the propensity of Unix C compilers to accept almost any stupid
but valid code without comment is bemoaned.  I use lint a lot; if
I'm debugging a problem, I typically try a lint check before
I run a debugger.

However, 'lint' was first described around 1980, and at that time it
was mentioned that 'there are some things that you just can't get lint
to shut up about'.  I have found this generally true in practice--
the mode which checks casts for portability is essentially useless,
because any decent program will have a number of calls to malloc.
I have found other things that I couldn't get lint to shut up about,
as well--casts of long to int, etc.

Yet it appears to me that lint has received little work, from
commercial or academic developers, over the last 10 years.  Certainly
I know of no common enhancements to tell it about malloc alignment, etc.
Am I just misinformed?
--
Craig Jackson
dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com

ejp@bohra.cpg.oz (Esmond Pitt) (03/08/90)

In article <8809@drilex.UUCP> dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) writes:
>I have a question for Unix vendors out there.  Is your lint
>maintained?  By this, has your lint received any improvements
>other than emergency bug fixes since you first released it,
>or received the tape from AT&T?

Good question. Every version of lint I've ever used thinks it's running
on a PDP-11, and prohibits arrays larger than 64k bytes.

--
Esmond Pitt, Computer Power Group
ejp@bohra.cpg.oz

harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) (03/08/90)

In article <8809@drilex.UUCP>, dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) writes:
> I have a question for Unix vendors out there.  Is your lint
> maintained?  By this, has your lint received any improvements

Check out PC-Lint/Flexelint from Gimpel Software (215)584-4261.  PC-Lint
runs on MS-DOS, Flexelint runs on VMS, Unix, VM/MVS, QNX, OS-9, DG AOS/VS,
& others.

It has over 270 error messages.  Most of them are very useful, but best of
all, you can turn them on and off as necessary.

> If so, is there some way that you can get it to shut up
> about everything, including casts of malloc?

/*lint -e523(malloc,calloc) */   <-- this means "turn off warnings about
					typecasts for functions malloc
					and calloc. [the number is not
					correct, but I am doing this
					from memory.]

> [...] I use lint a lot; if

If you like lint, you will LOVE PC-Lint/Flexelint!  Sorry if I sound
like a walking billboard, but I am so! satisfied with the product.

> Craig Jackson
> dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com
> {bbn,axiom,redsox,atexnet,ka3ovk}!drilex!{dricej,dricejb}
Mark Harrison				| (these opinions
harrison@necssd.NEC.COM			|  are my own, etc.)
{necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison |