[comp.lang.c] Easy way to access extended memory from C

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (02/24/90)

Is there a C compiler that allows a 386 PC running under DOS to use either
extended memory or expanded memory easily.  I wan't to have some fairly
large data arrays?
                            Brent H. Besler

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (03/08/90)

In article <169@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:
>Is there a C compiler that allows a 386 PC running under DOS to use either
>extended memory or expanded memory easily.  I wan't to have some fairly
>large data arrays?
>                            Brent H. Besler

If you have the bucks (>$1k) you can get:

1). Phar Lap DOS EXTENDER, which allows running programs in 386 protected mode
    while still getting DOS function access (as well as being able to capture
    interrupts).  Virtual memory management is available at extra cost.

2). Either Microway's NDP C-386 compiler (tends to be UNIXish) or the Metaware
    High C 386 compiler (somewhat strange, but generates the best code).

If you don't have the bucks, your best bet is to find the bucks as dealing with
expanded memory is a real pain. You'll also loose about half the efficiency
of the chip running it as a brain-dead 8086.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

arw@stiatl.UUCP (Allan Watkins) (03/10/90)

[ In article <169@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:
[ >Is there a C compiler that allows a 386 PC running under DOS to use either
[ >extended memory or expanded memory easily.  I wan't to have some fairly
[ >large data arrays?
[ >                            Brent H. Besler

[ If you have the bucks (>$1k) you can get:
[ 1). Phar Lap DOS EXTENDER, which allows running programs in 386 protected mode
[ 2). Either Microway's NDP C-386 compiler (tends to be UNIXish) or the Metaware
[     High C 386 compiler (somewhat strange, but generates the best code).
[
[                         Tom Almy   toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com

     I too have been (trying to) keeping track of the companies that provide
    use of expanded/extended memory on a 386; I received a few quotes about the
    following companies:

       1) Microway - (508)746-7341 - 386 native mode compiler under DOS
       2) NDP - applications require FP co-processor
       3) Metaware High C 386 Compiler - what kind of debuggers are supported?
       4) Watcom 386 C compiler - what kind of debuggers are supported?
       5) GNU - is there a C run time library available?
       6) Zortech C++ - debuggers?
            (this newsgroup has hear a LOT about this company)

     That's all the information I have been able to find out. What I would like
    too know is where to get more information about these companies?  I've
    looked in several computer mags, ask a few computer store bums, looked in
    my glove compartment and have come up with ZIP! NADA! SQUAT!  Do these
    companies ever advertise or do they just whisper it to someone on the
    network and hope it gets spread around?  Even though I'm a lowly plebe
    programmer, I'd guess a lot of software companies would afford descent bucks
    for a 386 compiler in order not to worry about ex[te,pa]nded memory.  Having
    a development environment where you didn't have to rig your data/program
    size would seem to produce more reliable code.
     If anyone has any idea where I can find out about the forementioned
    companies (addresses, magazines , phone numbers, etc.),
    I would greatly appreciate it.  The basic information sought includes:

        - Use of expanded? use of extended? is it seemless?
        - How extensive is their libraries compared to MSC 5.1?
        - Which (if any) debuggers can they support?
        - What memory models are provided? what about lint?
        - What are the features of the current release?
        - Are there still major bugs in the compiler (known)?
        - How reliable/stable is the company and their tech support?
        - How good is there documentation?
        - Does the package come with good/acceptable utilities?
            (no more editors - there are enough good ones to choose from)
        - How much does the package ~cost? (please don't scare me / :-()

      If any company has developed any application(s) from any of these
     compilers from ground up, I think their input would be quite noteworthy.

      If there is sufficient interest/responses, I could produce Ye-Olde-Sumry
     in a couple weeks.

--
Allan Watkins                                             gatech!stiatl!arw
Sales Technologies, Inc