[comp.lang.c] Inappropiate "BUGS" Sections

Jerome_V_Vollborn@cup.portal.com (03/07/90)

I agree with Bill Wolfe about the quoted statements in the "BUGS"
sections of the man pages.  Try to pretend you are a manager is
a customer shop who is looking at the man pages before investing
your company's money in Unix based systems.  While I like humor,
these sections are very poor customer relations.  The C/Unix community
is not alone in making this mistake but that is not a reason to
continue making mistakes or refrain from correcting past mistakes
where possible.

Not looking at documents from the customer perspective is one of
the marks of engineers.  We all need to improve in this area.

				Jerome Vollborn
				(Jerome_Vollborn@cup.portal.com or
				 uunet!lci386!jerome)

jamiller@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Jim Miller) (03/10/90)

>Not looking at documents from the customer perspective is one of
>the marks of engineers.  We all need to improve in this area.

The Un*x man pages tend to be for programmers, especially the ones
under attack/consideration.  "WE" are the users for most the subjects under
definition.  The Manager is the buyer, not the user.  I will maintain that
the pages are more useful to the user (me) the way they are, even if not
as pretty to the buyer.  If the buyer asks his customers (the programmers)
which they prefer instead of telling him what he needs (and how long it
will take, and what exactly will be in it, and never mind the two are
not compatible ...)  the man pages as they exist will win out over
"professional" (suit, tie, and useless) ones.

    jim - i like them, i use them, i do not like the alternative - miller

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (03/11/90)

In article <5940019@hpcupt1.HP.COM> jamiller@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Jim Miller) writes:
>>Not looking at documents from the customer perspective is one of
>>the marks of engineers.  We all need to improve in this area.
>
> ...the man pages as they exist will win out over "professional" (suit,
> tie, and useless) ones.

Sorry, SCO Xenix (and I'll bet SCO Unix as well) doesn't have a "bugs"
section in its manuals.  They call it "comments" or the like.  Xenix
is probably the most popular Unix variant ever to have hit the market.
It does seem a bit childish to, in effect, censor the word "bugs" from
manual pages.  The statement that the "suit and tie" straitjacket will
never win out, however, just isn't true.  The suits and ties invariably
get control of any situation they find it useful to control :-(.  It's
a sad by-product of our economic system.

   -Richard L. Goerwitz              goer%sophist@uchicago.bitnet
   goer@sophist.uchicago.edu         rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

In article <7962@tank.uchicago.edu> goer@sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>... SCO Xenix (and I'll bet SCO Unix as well) doesn't have a "bugs"
>section in its manuals.  They call it "comments" or the like...
>It does seem a bit childish to, in effect, censor the word "bugs" from
>manual pages...

This is common.  The reason is the US's demented liability laws, which
make sane companies reluctant to do anything which might possibly be
misconstrued as hinting at knowledge of defects in products.
--
MSDOS, abbrev:  Maybe SomeDay |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
an Operating System.          | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (03/12/90)

In article <27625@cup.portal.com> Jerome_V_Vollborn@cup.portal.com writes:

>I agree with Bill Wolfe about the quoted statements in the "BUGS"
>sections of the man pages.  Try to pretend you are a manager is
>a customer shop who is looking at the man pages before investing
>your company's money in Unix based systems.

You forgot the smiley.  A manager looking at man pages before buying
UNIX!  HAHAHAHAHAHA.

> While I like humor,
Yah, it shows.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (03/12/90)

In article <7962@tank.uchicago.edu>, goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
> Sorry, SCO Xenix (and I'll bet SCO Unix as well) doesn't have a "bugs"
> section in its manuals.  They call it "comments" or the like.  Xenix
> is probably the most popular Unix variant ever to have hit the market.
> It does seem a bit childish to, in effect, censor the word "bugs" from
> manual pages.  The statement that the "suit and tie" straitjacket will
> never win out, however, just isn't true.  The suits and ties invariably
> get control of any situation they find it useful to control :-(.  It's
> a sad by-product of our economic system.

SCO UNIX System V/386 r3.2 does not have a 'BUGS' section for its
entries, (as far as I can tell). The man page for units is made up
of sections called: Name, Syntax, Description, and Files. It is
clear and sensibly written, and gives no disclaimer about exchange
rates. (Although Morgan Stanley is not likely to base financial plans
on the 1.7187 dollars/pound conversion it contains...)

I think there is a bit of confusion about people's tailors and their
ideologies. I was a long hair math professor and strenuously objected
to the BSD 4.2 man pages (and lots else about that calamity) and
now I work for an investment firm (still have the long hair, but do
wear suits) and have the same ideas about man pages. In the same
department as I work, there are some UNIX guru types, and they all
wear suits, have long or short hair according to taste, but most of
them think BSD man pages are cool. Most of them wear better suits than I do.
We all work for Morgan Stanley. (Can't get more Wall Street than that.)
So what's the point?

There are several types of programmers in the UNIX environment. Some,
like myself, are programmers by dint of skill in another professional
field - (numerical analysis, algorithmic complexity and applied math
in my case) - and some are UNIX/C natives. The natives find all the
little quirks familiar and no big deal, and appreciate the odd bit of
askance humor in the man pages. The OS/language itinerants find all
matters of operating system obstuctional, and language inadequate,
and can't seem to understand what was so sensibly constructed in
OS-A/Lang-I is so idiotically tied to history in OS-B/LANG-II.

UNIX/C natives are not particularly more or less sensitive to the
observations of the itinerants than are say the MVS/APL2 natives,
or the VMS/Pascal natives, or the NOS/FORTRAN natives, etc., (at
least in my experience) but they are somewhat more entrenched in
the condenscending attitude that theirs is the most advanced world
with the best stuff and no need to think about incorporating the
other world's better ideas into their future. Well, every itinerant
knows full well that what's hot today is just that... hot today.
Tomorrow will bring another OS and another language. The itinerants
will move on, and some of the natives will, too. Lots of the natives
will continue to fight the battles that their OS or language already
won, and this rear guard action is the source of the worst bigots.

Personally, I can see that the past six years have been good to
UNIX. It used to be a rickety monolingual child with dreadful bugs,
but now it's graduated to being a second-rate operating system, like
everything else. (I ain't seen a first-rate OS yet...) C has grown into
a definite language, but by finalizing some of it's more painful
mistakes. It'll stick around like FORTRAN, but I'll look elsewhere
for the future. UNIX/C will have it's day, but I'll be surprised if
C's "market share" isn't seriously threatened by languages which
benefit from more modern thinking in the next five years.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt