[comp.lang.c] Power C Compiler

rchan@ut-emx.UUCP (Ricardo Chan) (05/03/90)

I just got an order card for a C compiler called "Power C",
sold by "MIX Software" from Richardson, TX.

Does anybody have any experiense with this package?

The price advertised is $19.95 +$5 shipping + 8%tax.

Ricardo Chan                         |  rchan@emx.utexas.edu
Electrical And Computer Engineering  |  rchan%emx@relay.cs.net
University of Texas at Austin        |  UTADNX::MAILER%"rchan@emx"
Austin, TX 78712                     |  UTSPAN::UTADNX::MAILER%"rchan@emx"

Bob.Stout@p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Stout) (05/04/90)

In an article of <3 May 90 00:06:46 GMT>,  (Ricardo Chan) writes:

 >I just got an order card for a C compiler called "Power C",
 >sold by "MIX Software" from Richardson, TX.
 >
 >Does anybody have any experiense with this package?
 >
 >The price advertised is $19.95 +$5 shipping + 8%tax.

  Mix Power C is the greatest bargain in the inhabited universe (and my folks
told me 47,297,156,392 times never to exagerate!) Seriously, it's a credibly
decent, quite ANSI-compliant compiler that products reasonably quick, though
not overly tight, code. Although its floating point performance can occasion-
ally rival Watcom's, it's greatest value is for folks just learning the
language. Typically they might spend $50 for Quick C or a little more for
Turbo C, then another $20-50 at the local bookstore buying "C Primer Plus" or
various other books to teach them the language. Provided they can live without
the integrated environment and editor of the others, for their $20, they now
have a compiler that's all they're likely to need and a 600+ page printed
manual that includes one of the best beginner's tutorials in the business. If
the simply want to lighten their wallets a bit more, they can buy Mix's Power
Trace debugger for $20 and the complete library source plus assembler for
another $10 - a total investment of $50. It may not all be pro quality, but it
works and works well for an absolutely incredible price. I occasionally use it
to teach with and I know several advanced amateurs who've never seen the need
to switch to one of the bigger name compilers. For other bargain shoppers,
they have an equally decent C/Database Toolchest (B+ Tree ISAM library) for
$20 supporting Power C, MSC/QC or TC, source $20 extra (prices from memory). I
may love Zortech and deeply respect MSC 6.0, but Mix is a sentimental fave!

gbastin@x102c.harris-atd.com (Gary Bastin 60293) (05/04/90)

In article <29356@ut-emx.UUCP> rchan@ut-emx.UUCP (Ricardo Chan) writes:
>I just got an order card for a C compiler called "Power C",
>sold by "MIX Software" from Richardson, TX.
>
>Does anybody have any experiense with this package?
>
>The price advertised is $19.95 +$5 shipping + 8%tax.

I have been using Power C Compiler and Power C-Trace debugger
for some time now.  I initially purchased versions 1.30 and 1.20 of these
two products for a C class I was taking at the time.  Version 2.0 is
now out for both, and I recently upgraded.  Overall, I have been
very impressed with the performance, not only for the class, which is long
since over, but for day to day use.  The compiler is a little slower
than some of the other products on the market, but the executibles
are often smaller and faster than Turbo C and Microsoft C.  The
memory models in Power C are now expanded beyond just the medium
model that was available initially.  As for compatibility, I
found it very nice (especially for the C class) to be able to
take advantage of Turbo C, Microsoft C and System V functions that
were all being taught without having to switch platforms to compile
the code.  Power C is a super set of the three, with very few
problems in having all three.  It also is ANSI C, as well as K&R.

The best part of all is the Power C-Trace debugger.  It is the
easiest debugger to use I have seen.  I have just ordered
the library source code, and assembler, and will soon be able
to evaluate these products.  Overall, the Power C tools are
quite a bargain, especially considering the price.  The documentation
is vastly better than what Borland and Microsoft provide, making
it especially useful when learning C!  (I have no connection with
Mix Software except as a satisfied customer.)

Gary Bastin              /-/-/      Internet: gbastin@x102c.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 102-4826         |        phone: (407) 729-3045
Harris Corporation GASD    |        packet: WB4YAF @ N4JLR.FL.USA.NA
P.O.B. 94000, Melbourne FL 32902    Speaking from, but not for, Harris!

hermens@groucho (05/05/90)

In article <3593@trantor.harris-atd.com> gbastin@x102c.ess.harris.com (Gary Bastin 60293) writes:

(Power C is...)

>quite a bargain, especially considering the price.  The documentation
>is vastly better than what Borland and Microsoft provide, making
>it especially useful when learning C!  (I have no connection with
>Mix Software except as a satisfied customer.)

Power C is VERY good for learning C, and the price IS very nice.

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (05/06/90)

In article <29356@ut-emx.UUCP> rchan@ut-emx.UUCP (Ricardo Chan) writes:
>I just got an order card for a C compiler called "Power C",
>sold by "MIX Software" from Richardson, TX.
>
>Does anybody have any experiense with this package?

I have used release 2.0.0 for a while now. It is certainly worth the
price.

Some programs cause the optimizer to hiccough. Bad, especially since
the optimizer cannot be disabled.

If you are *very* concerned with ANSI C compliancy, however, don't use
it. The compiler does accept function prototypes, and knows about const
and volatile, but that seem to be about it.

Type-checking of consts is incomplete: you can assign values to consts
without any complaints from the compiler. Type-checking of prototypes
vs. function definitions seem to be incomplete too - they can differ
quite a bit without any error message.

Several include files are non-ANSI, and the user's namespace isn't
preserved as the ANSI standard specifies.

There is no support for wide characters.

Apart from these things I have had no problems with the Power C
compiler. Indeed most of my old programs compiled and run without
problems.

I also bought the PowerTrace debugger. I was quite surprise of the
quality of it - I am quite satisfied with it.

Hope this is of some use,

--
Anders Thulin       ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcsun}!sunic!prosys!ath
Telesoft Europe AB, Teknikringen 2B, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden

nol2321@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (05/08/90)

I have used both the old Shareware versions and the new "Power" version.  It is
a GREAT little C compiler for only $20.  You don't have to give up much for
it is fairly MSC and TC compatible, (they brag much more...)

I also has a lot of nice support utilities, toolboxes, etc.

I'd give it a thumbs up.  (but would rather tell you to buy Quick C 2.0, for
only $61 why go with the non-standard...)

:)