[comp.lang.c] Am I Happy with MS C 6.0?

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (05/08/90)

> >From article <218@demott.COM>, by kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt):
> > In article <5136@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) writes:
> >>From article <7956@rouge.usl.edu>, by pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs):
> >>You're forcing PWB to close all files, swap itself to disk,
> >     I've been able to do precisely this same thing with Epsilon for a couple
> I agree on this point.  PWB is cute, but it's just not worth that
> kind of load time.
> But, back to the original question.  Peter, here is one more way you
> can speed up PWB if you still want to use it: in the /MSC/BIN
> directory, rename *.MXT to *.EXT.  That will turn off the extension

Yes, the original problem, my biggest compaint about C 6.0 is not the
load time (that is a smaller gripe) but the time (almost 1 minute)
to compile a   """"""" 1 """"""""""" line program !!!!!!!!!

I like jazzy environments but I do not want things to get in my way:
   I did not buy a new and improved product to have it compile SLOWER!

Granted, I have a 16mhz PS/2 Model 70, but 5.1 quickC ran just fine.
I am not sure why I did not look into the performance aspect of the
upgrade before purchasing it.  I will know better next time....
... and next time will probably be Win 3.0.

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu

6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) (05/08/90)

From article <8085@rouge.usl.edu>, by pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs):
> Yes, the original problem, my biggest compaint about C 6.0 is not the
> load time (that is a smaller gripe) but the time (almost 1 minute)
> to compile a   """"""" 1 """"""""""" line program !!!!!!!!!
>
> I like jazzy environments but I do not want things to get in my way:
>    I did not buy a new and improved product to have it compile SLOWER!
>
> Granted, I have a 16mhz PS/2 Model 70, but 5.1 quickC ran just fine.
> I am not sure why I did not look into the performance aspect of the
> upgrade before purchasing it.  I will know better next time....
> .... and next time will probably be Win 3.0.

I think you're missing the point.  PWB is just a fancy front-end
for the real compiler, CL.  My computer is roughly comparable to
yours, and it took me 59 seconds to compile and link "Hello World"
through PWB.  But it only takes me 12 seconds through CL.

If you want to use MSC6, and you don't want to endure the wait,
either use one or more of the tricks I gave you to speed up PWB,
or don't use PWB!

Finally, you surely must realize that "the performance aspect"
can not be based solely on compile time.  If you wanted a fast
compile and didn't care about the quality of the resulting code,
why didn't you buy Turbo C?

Michael O'Brien
6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

<putting on asbestos suit>