[comp.lang.c] Am I happy to have MS C 6.0 ???

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (05/05/90)

I have an IBM PS/2 Model 70 with 3 meg memory, 60mg hd, VGA and 16mhz clock
speed.  I just got the MS 6.0 upgrade.  I removed all of the old 5.1 stuff and
installed the new version with no problem!
...AND THEN...
After fumbling around with PWB, (getting used to the windows and compiling
some of the demos) I wrote this program :

  main()
  {   printf ("Hello world\n"); }

Listed are some unbelievable timings!!:

Compile time:		47 seconds                   (nondebug mode)
Execution time:		11 seconds
From 'Hit any key to continue till the editor came back up':
 			21 seconds
TOTAL:           1 minute and 19 seconds

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but with QC 5.1 or TC  I have never
waited this long.  THIS IS A TOTALLY RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF TIME TO WAIT!

Additionally, I have the number '50' appearing on most menus? What the
heck is this?  I HOPE that I am doing something wrong because if not
then this is one unhappy camper and I will not let this go on un-newsed.

Any ideas?

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu

6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) (05/07/90)

From article <7956@rouge.usl.edu>, by pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs):
> Listed are some unbelievable timings!!:
>
> Compile time:		47 seconds                   (nondebug mode)
> Execution time:		11 seconds
> From 'Hit any key to continue till the editor came back up':
>  			21 seconds
> TOTAL:           1 minute and 19 seconds

You're forcing PWB to close all files, swap itself to disk,
do what you asked, swap itself back, and reopen everything.
If your hard disk isn't the eigth wonder, this is bound to
be slow.  My suggestions:
  -  Use the command line version of CL, or
  -  set up a RAM drive, and make that your TMP directory.

Michael O'Brien
6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (05/08/90)

In article <5136@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) writes:
>From article <7956@rouge.usl.edu>, by pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs):
>>
>> Compile time:		47 seconds                   (nondebug mode)
>> Execution time:		11 seconds
>> From 'Hit any key to continue till the editor came back up':
>>  			21 seconds
>> TOTAL:           1 minute and 19 seconds
>>
>You're forcing PWB to close all files, swap itself to disk,
>do what you asked, swap itself back, and reopen everything.

    I've been able to do precisely this same thing with Epsilon for a couple
years now, and it only take a couple seconds to get out and get back in.  It
leaves only 4K resident in the process.  What's so wonder about MSC's new
editor? (nothing - I'm certainly not going to use it, since it gives me no
new features.)

kdq
--

 _
Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development

 96.37% of the people who use statistics in arguments make them up.

6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) (05/08/90)

From article <218@demott.COM>, by kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt):
> In article <5136@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike O'Brien) writes:
>>From article <7956@rouge.usl.edu>, by pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs):
>>> From 'Hit any key to continue till the editor came back up':
>>>  			21 seconds
>>You're forcing PWB to close all files, swap itself to disk,
>>do what you asked, swap itself back, and reopen everything.
>     I've been able to do precisely this same thing with Epsilon for a couple
> years now, and it only take a couple seconds to get out and get back in.  It
> leaves only 4K resident in the process.  What's so wonder about MSC's new
> editor? (nothing - I'm certainly not going to use it, since it gives me no
> new features.)

I agree on this point.  PWB is cute, but it's just not worth that
kind of load time.

But, back to the original question.  Peter, here is one more way you
can speed up PWB if you still want to use it: in the /MSC/BIN
directory, rename *.MXT to *.EXT.  That will turn off the extension
autoload, which means that if you want to use an extension tool such
as browse you'll have to load it manually.  But, it will save you
about 30% off of each load and swap time.  This process is described
more fully in your README.DOC file.

Michael O'Brien
6600sirt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (05/09/90)

I too use Epsilon with MSC 6.0 .  I have been thinking about PWB for a while
(about 6 months) and there are a few things that may get me to use it - access
to online documentation (especially the runtime library examples), the source
code browser (which I shall check out "real soon now"), and flag setting for
make, debug, etc.

Note that MSC 6.0 runs best under OS/2 - most of the program swapping goes away.