[comp.lang.c] freestanding implementations

In article <409@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>There are also C programmers in this situation.  One of the machines I
>write code for has no concept of a file, terminal, error handling, and
>it does not allow the programmer to define a "main" procedure.  This
>kind of makes most of the "standard library" useless and the C code
>is quite unique to that machine.  I sure hope my review is not based
>on my conformance to the "standard".

Conformance to the "freestanding" variant of ANSI C, as opposed to the
"hosted" variant, should not present problems.  (Basically, the difference
is that "freestanding" implementations may lack the library, programs
may start up and shut down in odd ways, and generally there is little
promised about the environment.  It's specifically aimed at C compilers
which generate code for toaster controllers, or whatever.)  Compliance
to the standard is still a reasonable criterion for your review. :-)

Perhaps you should learn more about the standard before claiming that
it obviously does not apply to you.
--
As a user I'll take speed over|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
features any day. -A.Tanenbaum| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu