Date: 23 Jun 1983 09:44-EST
From: Hank.Walker@CMU-CS-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: pay phone usage
To: sflovers@rutgers

When I was in high school in the early 1970's, I could call Hawaii from
California on a General Telephone pay phone with a paper clip.  This was
quite a reliable technique.  What the kid did in "WarGames" was not far
off from what I used to do.  I doubt if it works any more, but I found
the scene entirely plausible, and rather amusing.

postman%UCLA-LOCUS@sri-unix.UUCP (10/07/83)

From:            UCLA-LOCUS Mail Handler <postman@UCLA-LOCUS>

===== POSTMAN output follows =====
AERROR - (n < SLOCKTRIES) CAN NOT GET LCK.SEQL
mailers/ucla: error writing to UMAIL
"v.kyle": not delivered
AERROR - (n < SLOCKTRIES) CAN NOT GET LCK.SEQL
mailers/ucla: error writing to UMAIL
"v.srt": not delivered

===== unsent message follows =====
Date:  6 Oct 83 2138-EDT
From: Fred Kiesche (The Moderator) <SF-Lovers-Request@Rutgers>
Subject: SF-LOVERS Digest   V8 #96
To: SF-LOVERS@RUTGERS

SF-LOVERS Digest         Thursday, 6 Oct 1983      Volume 8 : Issue 96

Today's Topics:

                Administrivia - Exciting New Update!,
    Books - Isaac Asimov & David Brin (2 msgs) & Lester Del Rey &
          Harlan Ellison (4 msgs) & Douglas Adams (2 msgs) &
   Michael Jahn (?) & Donald Kingsbury & "A Subway Named Mobius" &
                      John Myers Myers (2 msgs)

Date: 6 Oct 83 21:35:56 EDT
From: KIESCHE@RU-GREEN.ARPA
Subject: Administrivia (Big Electric Cat)

Hi All:

     According to one of our system's programmers, due to some
problems that have cropped up lately, some of you may be missing the
most recent issues (93, 94, 95).  If so, please send me mail, and I'll
be glad to re-send them to you...

     In answer to the eternal question: "Why has SFL been so sporadic
as of late?"--well, since moving, I lost my ability to work at home
from a dial-up.  This means that I must travel to the computer center
in order to log on.  However, since the end of the summer, and the
start of classes, it has been hard to get at a terminal, let alone (at
times) log on!

     So, until I can beg/borrow/steal/buy a terminal/personal computer
and a modem, output of SFL will be sporadic at best.  When I do get
on, I will send out as many issues in one shot as possible (i.e., a
maximum of three)...please be patient, though...

Take care,

Frederick Paul Kiesche III
(SEVENTEEN DAYS LEFT!!!!!!)

------------------------------

Subject: Story about invasion & fake Roman gods
From: Alan L. Zeichick-<g.maine=zeichick@berkeley>
Date: October 5, 1983

Rich,

     The only story I know of that at all matches your description is
by Isaac Asimov (of course), in his anthology 'The Early Asimov, Book
One'.  The story is 'Homo Sol', written back in 1940, and is the first
of his two Tan Porus stories.  (The second is also in that anthology.)

     Synopsis: the Galactic Congress learns that Earthlings have
discovered the 'secret' of interstellar travel, and thus are eligible
to membership in galactic society.  Envoys are sent out, but it
appears that those strange humans are very clever, and not very
interested in joining the club--and keep turning domestic gadgets into
nasty little weapons systems.  However, Tan Porus, Master
Psychologist, saves the day.  And yes, fake gods & goddesses come into
the picture.

Enjoy.  -Alan-

------------------------------

Date: 3 Oct 1983 12:10:13-PDT
From: engvax!KVC at cit-vax
Subject: Startide Rising and Sundiver

Well,

     Following the rave reviews in SF-LOVERS, I went out and bought
both books yesterday.  The question I have is which should I read
first?  Or does it matter?  Any suggestions?

                Thanks,
                        /Kevin
                                engvax!kvc at CIT-VAX

------------------------------

Date: 2 Oct 83 7:02:39-PDT (Sun)
From: decvax!tektronix!ucbcad!notes @ Ucb-Vax
Subject: Re: Previous works by David Brin - (nf)

     If you look in the back of "Startide Rising", in the list of
books you can buy, you will find the title "The Tides of Kithrup", and
you will notice it has the same magic numbers as Startide. Seems the
original title for Startide was "The Tides of Kithrup".

                        Joe Kalash

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 83 15:55:02 EDT
From: Eric Albert <ealbert@BBN-UNIX>
Subject: The Infinite Worlds of Maybe

     As far as I remember, "The Infinite Worlds of Maybe" is by Lester
del Rey.

-- Eric Albert (ealbert @ bbn-unix)

------------------------------

Date: 30 Sep 1983 17:05:25-EDT
From: csin!cjh@CCA-UNIX
Subject: last dangerous visions

     Has been waiting for a LONG time. Harlan was talking about a
fairly complete set of contents 9 years ago (during a staged slanging
match with Asimov at Discon II). Various words have it that the total
wordage is in the million-plus range, including at least two complete
novels and a number of discovered stories from deceased authors (Tony
Lewis, who is preparing a Cordwainer Smith concordance, has confirmed
that there is a CS story in LDV but hasn't been able to get a look at
the manuscript; there's also a full-length novel by John Christopher,
I think). Harlan doesn't even want to talk about it any more, but (as
usual) rather than wait for the question the last time he was at MIT
he said something about Real Soon Now (or maybe sooner). It was hoped
that with Houghton-Mifflin publishing his work they'd be interested in
prying it out (they certainly aren't scared of larger books, witness
THE MANY-COLORED LAND), but it's been 3+ years. . . .

------------------------------

Date: 30 Sep 1983 1439-EDT
From: mdc.janice@mit-oz
Subject: "A Boy and His Dog" and "Dangerous Visions"

     I thought the novella of "A Boy and His Dog" was far superior to
the movie and actually made some social statements, which the film
failed to do.  It can be found in Dangerous Visions and in one of the
Hugo Winners anthologies.

     As to The Last Dangerous Visions--it's been promised for years.
My sources say it's getting near to completion, don't ask when,
though.  It should be 3 or 4 volumes.

                        Janice

------------------------------

Date: Mon 3 Oct 83 19:22:36-EDT
From: MDC.JANICE@MIT-OZ
Subject: Harlan Ellison and "The Starlost"

     THE STARCROSSED is, indeed, a very funny adaptation of Ellison's
experiencese making "The Starlost."  For the actual events (from
Ellison's point of view, of course), read an essay in his last
anthology STALKING THE NIGHTMARE, titled, "Toto, Somehow I Don't Think
We're In Kansas Anymore."  (That's an approximation.)  This appeared,
in a shorter form, in an anthology called FASTER THAN LIGHT (one of
the editors was Jack Dann--I'm not sure of the other) which also
contains his original pilot script for the series.  This original
script has been novelized by Edward Bryant as PHOENIX WITHOUT ASHES.

     To close my flame, let me say that I heartily agree that no one
should ever judge a story on the basis of the filmed adaptation of it.
The story "A Boy and his Dog" contained some brilliant satire on
Middle America-- something the movie was sorely lacking.

                                Janice

------------------------------

Date: 30 Sep 83 12:43:27-PDT (Fri)
From: decvax!tektronix!tekecs!ariels @ Ucb-Vax
Subject: Re: Info on "Dangerous Visions"

     And what about "The Last Dangerous Visions"? If you can find
Patchin Review number 3 (I think, maybe number 2), read the article
about how all the contributers to LDV are dying off.  It seems that at
least 4 of the contributors are dead, some are sick, and one hasn't
been heard from for months (she's just disappeared!).  The author of
the article makes a case for Harlan Ellison waiting for them all to
kick off before publishing LDV.  Interesting.  Also, in the vein of
Patchin Review, tongue in cheek.  However, that article caused the
Dangerous Visions Bookstore in LA (?) to stop carrying Patchin Review.

     Just a bit of info, for those who don't get enough.

Ariel Shattan
decvax!tektronix!tekecs!ariels

------------------------------

Date: 6 October 1983 16:49 edt
From: Barry Margolin at MIT-MULTICS
Subject: six impossible things before breakfast

     Is the phrase "six impossible things before breakfast" original
with Hitch-hiker's Guide (it was used in the entry for Milliways, the
Restaurant at the End of the Universe)?  I just heard it used last
night on the "Hotel" TV series; the woman said:

          Sometimes, if you think of six impossible things
          before breakfast, one of them might come true?

     Was the writer a HHGttG fan, or am I just ignorant?

                                        barmar

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  3 Oct 83 13:25:13 PST
From: ucivax!bork%uucp.UCI@Rand-Relay
Subject: re: Hitchhikers guide books in paperback

     Well, I couldn't find Restaurant at the End of the Universe in
paper at any of the local book sellers, receiving various replys of "
we can't seem to order it ", " we're all out, and don't know when
we're gonna get more ", " it isn't out in paper yet " , to " it
does'nt exist in paper yet. ".

     I found it that afternoon at the Ralphs store down the road when
I went shopping for the week.  You really wonder sometimes.

                Dave Godwin, (the invisible one) at UC Irvine

------------------------------

Date: 3 Oct 1983 1212-EDT
From: Roger H. Goun <VLSI at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: Bad SF

     Eric (...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!eric) brought up the subject of
the worst SF around, "the stuff written by authors that know nothing
about the field but just want to cash in."

     The worst SF novel I can ever recall reading, and a classic
example of what eric describes, is ARMADA, by Michael Jahn.  (My
library is still packed from a recent move, so I'm not absolutely sure
of the author's name.)

     The plot, and I use the term loosely, revolves around an attempt
to destroy a huge alien battleship.  The aliens (who are never
described -- that would require that the author use his imagination)
send scoutships down to Earth's surface.  These scoutships reduce
people to black sludge and carry them off to be eaten.

     Space shuttles such as Columbia figure prominently in this little
drama, but the capabilities which are ascribed to them are ludicrous.
I will not describe the ending, not because I fear a spoiler, but
because many of you would die of laughter in front of your terminals
if I did.

     I seem to recall being awestruck that the author was associated
with The New York Times, though I don't remember in what capacity.

     Has anyone else seen this book, or was I the only one foolish
enough to shell out for it?

                                   -- Roger Goun
                                      DEC, Hudson, MA
                                      VLSI@DEC-Marlboro.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 29 Sep 83 10:52:36-PDT (Thu)
From: decvax!duke!unc!mcnc!dvamc!ccw @ Ucb-Vax
Subject: Re: A Rave for Courtship Rite

     Courtship Rite appeared in Analog in the early part of this year
and I too liked it very much.  It was a four(?) part serial.

                                        Chris Woodbury
                                        decvax!mcnc!dvamc!ccw

------------------------------

Date: 3 October 1983 10:16 cdt
From: Bibbero.PMSDMKT
Subject: Subway named Mobius

     Re scott preece's mention of a story by this title, I recall with
much pleasure reading one in Analog or a similar magazine (some
decades ago) about a link that was added to the Boston Subway, causing
the system to become "infinitely connected" (in the sense of
topology), which resulted in the loss of a train into another
dimension.  The problem was solved and the train rescued by the help
of an MIT professor of mathematics, naturally.  Is this the same story
recalled by Scott?  Who was the author and where did it first appear?
If I am thinking of a different story, does anyone recall the one I
synopsed?

Bob Bibbero -- Bibbero.PMSDMKT at HI-MULTICS

------------------------------

Date: 1 Oct 83 10:48:28-PDT (Sat)
From: hplabs!hao!seismo!uwvax!myers @ Ucb-Vax
Subject: Re: John Myers Myers query

     Could anyone tell me what the name of the book which was the
sequel to *Silverlock* is?

Thanx,
Jeff Myers

------------------------------

Date: 3 Oct 83 15:11:08-PDT (Mon)
From: decvax!tektronix!tekecs!orca!brucec @ Ucb-Vax

     The sequel (sort-of) to "Silverlock" is "The Moon's Fire-Eating
Daughter."  Shandon himself doesn't appear, but someone else gets to
tour the Civilization Trail.

                      Bruce Cohen
                      UUCP:   ...!teklabs!tekecs!brucec
                      CSNET:  tekecs!brucec@tektronix