[comp.lang.c] MS C 6.0 LINK: how to suppress the Definitions File prompt?

aland@infmx.UUCP (Colonel Panic) (06/05/90)

With the new version of the MS linker, a prompt for a Definitions File
has been added.  As a result, linker response files created to work
with the LINK that came with 5.1 don't work automatically -- the user
is prompted to specify a definition file (or hit return for the default
of no "deffile").  I would like to avoid the prompt altogether.  After
RTFMing carefully, I still can't see any way to suppress this via a
parameter (e.g. the LINK env variable).  Is there an undocumented
means of avoiding this prompt without changing the response files?

Please use email, and I will followup if I hear anything.
Thanks in advance.

--
Alan Denney # Informix # aland@informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "The driver says, 'One more cup of coffee and I'll be all right...'
  'Pop a Bennie, another Bennie'..."             - The Bobs, "Bus Plunge"

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (06/05/90)

Add a semicolon (;) at the end of your link response file.  A semicolon also
works on a single line link command.  The semicolon is acceptable to older
versions of link as well.

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/05/90)

In article <4400@infmx.UUCP>, aland@infmx.UUCP (Colonel Panic) writes:
> With the new version of the MS linker, a prompt for a Definitions File
> has been added.  As a result, linker response files created to work
> with the LINK that came with 5.1 don't work automatically -- the user
> is prompted to specify a definition file (or hit return for the default
> of no "deffile").  I would like to avoid the prompt altogether.  After
> RTFMing carefully, I still can't see any way to suppress this via a
> parameter (e.g. the LINK env variable).  Is there an undocumented
> means of avoiding this prompt without changing the response files?
>
> Alan Denney # Informix # aland@informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

I'm using the linker that came with C6.0, but not the compiler
(I still can't get C6.0 object modules to link correctly), and I'm
not getting this response file prompt, using a 5.1 linker response
file.  Are you failing to put a semicolon at the end of your inputs?

Also, as nice as it is that the new Codeview allows you to debug
really big applications with big symbol tables, as soon as I put
together an application of any real size, with symbols on, I get
L1063: out of memory for CodeView information from the linker.

Oh well.

--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Pipe bomb: appropriate technology for living lightly on Mother Earth. :-)

richgi@microsoft.UUCP (Richard GILLMANN) (06/06/90)

In article <4400@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
>With the new version of the MS linker, a prompt for a Definitions File
>has been added.  As a result, linker response files created to work
>with the LINK that came with 5.1 don't work automatically -- the user
>is prompted to specify a definition file (or hit return for the default
>of no "deffile").  I would like to avoid the prompt altogether.  After
>RTFMing carefully, I still can't see any way to suppress this via a
>parameter (e.g. the LINK env variable).  Is there an undocumented
>means of avoiding this prompt without changing the response files?

There is a way to suppress the deffile prompt, by using a ; to terminate
linker input.  For example, if your old linker response file is foo.lrf,
try this with LINK 5.10:

link @foo.lrf ;

The linker goes to the response file for its input and when that runs out,
it goes back to the command line, where the ; tells it to default the rest
of the prompts.

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (06/06/90)

In article <4400@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
>With the new version of the MS linker, a prompt for a Definitions File
>has been added.  As a result, linker response files created to work
>with the LINK that came with 5.1 don't work automatically -- the user
>is prompted to specify a definition file (or hit return for the default
>of no "deffile").  I would like to avoid the prompt altogether.

Simply add a ';' to the end of the libraries you use with the linker.
The ';' (which is in the manual, BTW) simply means "I've told you
everything I'm going to tell you" and assumes default answers for the
remaining questions.

Bill
--
Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (06/06/90)

In article <3752@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

>Also, as nice as it is that the new Codeview allows you to debug
>really big applications with big symbol tables, as soon as I put
>together an application of any real size, with symbols on, I get
>L1063: out of memory for CodeView information from the linker.

    Try using CVPACK on your large files - it should help.
--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         Manager, Software Development    34 12 N  118 27 W

      96.37% of the statistics used in arguments are made up.