[comp.lang.c] ipc...

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (06/04/90)

Can someone help me get started using inter process communication routines?
I have tried to find a simple program that uses interprocess channels but I
never can understand them because they are too clutter with other things.

Can someone mail me something very simple, perhaps something that just relays
a message across ? Best to send mail as to avoid clutter in here and since I
don't keep quite up to date in every newsgroup every week, the reply in mail
would be better for me. Thanks...

Byron Guernsey..

uunet!disk!specter  ||  specter@disk.UUCP

john@chinet.chi.il.us (John Mundt) (06/11/90)

In article <2963@disk.UUCP> specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:

>Can someone help me get started using inter process communication routines?
>I have tried to find a simple program that uses interprocess channels but I
>never can understand them because they are too clutter with other things.
>
>Can someone mail me something very simple, perhaps something that just relays
>a message across ? Best to send mail as to avoid clutter in here and since I
>don't keep quite up to date in every newsgroup every week, the reply in mail
>would be better for me. Thanks...

Read Marc J Rochkind's "Advanced UNIX Programming", Printice Hall,
ISBN 0-13-01181804 || 0-13-011800-1, specifically Chapter 7 which
deals with the topic of IPCS.  I have used them recently for a library
program, only to get bitten by being on a STARLAN network.  *I* need
the documentation to work STREAMS across different machines.

It has worked nicely, and is not difficult.  Just establish the
ipcs, using msgget() and msgopt() if needed to open the connection,
and use msgsnd() and msgrcv() to pass things back and forth.  It is
awfully fast and has more pseudo `file descriptors' to throw around.

--
john@admctr.chi.il.us