[comp.lang.c] Etiquette

mcdaniel@adi.com (Tim McDaniel) (07/03/90)

cookson@helios.mitre.org (Cookson) writes:
   After all, I thought the purpose of this news group was to discuss and LEARN about 'C'.

But comp.lang.c should be used as a *last resort* in learning.

Step 1: Think on your own.  If no help ...
Step 2: Check books (K&R, H&S, ANSI C standard).  If no help ...
Step 3: Ask local C gurus.  If no help ...
Step 4: Post.

Why?

* Why should net.people answer questions that any reasonably-complete
  C book can answer?
* "Volume, volume, volume"!  It's hard to follow a newsgroup with a
  lot of postings.
* Each posting is expensive (totalled over all sites).
--
"I'm not a nerd -- I'm 'socially challenged'."

Tim McDaniel
Internet: mcdaniel@adi.com             UUCP: {uunet,sharkey}!puffer!mcdaniel

martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) (07/03/90)

In article <MCDANIEL.90Jul2132312@dolphin.adi.com> mcdaniel@adi.com (Tim McDaniel) answers:

>But comp.lang.c should be used as a *last resort* in learning.
>
>Step 1: Think on your own.  If no help ...
>Step 2: Check books (K&R, H&S, ANSI C standard).  If no help ...
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For those who *learn* about C I'd rather recommend something more
`readable', like STANDARD C by Plauger&Brodie or maybe ANSI C A LEXICAL
GUIDE by Mark Williams Company. Reading the ANSI C standard may leave
someone who is still learning about C much more puzzled.

>Step 3: Ask local C gurus.  If no help ...

+Step 3a: Check the monthly posted FAQ-list of this group(%).

>Step 4: Post.
>
>Why?
[obvious reasons deleted]

Though I welcome *everyone* who really feels the need for "Step 4" to
post his or her questions to c.l.c, I would like to encourage news
administrators of large sites (esp. universities) to create groups with
local distribution for educational purposes. (IMHO, creating two
international groups with different levels of expertise doesn't
help much, as comp.unix.questions vs. comp.unix.wizards shows.)

%: Ideally, the instructions *how* to post to c.l.c should be hidden
somehow in the FAQ-list to make sure everyone who posts has read it -
but there seems to be no feasable way for this 1/2:-)
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin@mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83