[comp.lang.c] Basic graphics question

jmd21132@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jackle) (07/05/90)

   I just started to explore the C language, and there is one question I can't
find an answer to.  I would like to create some graphics on IBM PC in either
VGA or MCGA modes, but unfortunately I'm missing *.BGI drivers.  Can someone,
please, tell me what they are, what they do, and how do I use them?  Also,
are they included in graphics.lib, or should I look for them some place else?
Thanx in advance, J.

rschmidt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (07/06/90)

In article <1990Jul5.141907.29239@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jmd21132@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jackle) writes:

>   I just started to explore the C language, and there is one question I can't
>find an answer to.  I would like to create some graphics on IBM PC in either
>VGA or MCGA modes, but unfortunately I'm missing *.BGI drivers.  Can someone,
>please, tell me what they are, what they do, and how do I use them?  Also,
>are they included in graphics.lib, or should I look for them some place else?
>Thanx in advance, J.

You gotta read all the instructions, J.  Borland tells you to use the
INSTALL program for a good reason.  Those *.BGI drivers are buried in
some of the compressed files on your distribution disks.  You cannot
install TURBO C 2.0 just by using COPY *.*.  Pardon this interruption
for a machine-specific question, fellow netters.

Now back to main-stream C!

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (07/07/90)

In article <49896@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> rschmidt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) writes:
>In article <1990Jul5.141907.29239@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jmd21132@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jackle) writes:
>>   I just started to explore the C language, and there is one question I can't
>>find an answer to.  I would like to create some graphics on IBM PC in either
>>VGA or MCGA modes, but unfortunately I'm missing *.BGI drivers.  Can someone,

>You gotta read all the instructions, J.  Borland tells you to use the
>INSTALL program for a good reason.  Those *.BGI drivers are buried in
>some of the compressed files on your distribution disks.  You cannot
>install TURBO C 2.0 just by using COPY *.*.

That's not entirely true. The EGAVGA.BGI file does get unpacked when
you use the INSTALL program, but that only accesses the 16-color (or
less) modes of the VGA. To use the 320x200x256 mode for the VGA/MCGA,
you need the VGA256.BGI driver, which isn't part of the package. It
is, however, available by anonymous ftp as PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND>BGVGA256.ARC
at SIMTEL20.

                                               | "The three most dangerous
 Sean Malloy                                   | things in the world are a
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | programmer with a soldering
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | iron, a hardware type with a
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         | program patch, and a user