[comp.lang.c] Ansi C Spec. Where/How Can I get a copy?

stevef@crash.cts.com (Steve Feinstein) (07/04/90)

Would someone please let me know how I can get a copy of
the original unadulterated ANSI C Specification so that
we can write our code based on our interpretation of the
specs and not someone else's.  There must be some government
office somewhere that distributes this stuff.
Steve.

Steve A. Feinstein                          stevef@crash.cts.com
Data Trek Inc.
5838 Edison Place
Carlsbad, CA 92008-6596

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (07/06/90)

In article <3393@crash.cts.com>, stevef@crash.cts.com (Steve Feinstein) writes:
> Would someone please let me know how I can get a copy of
> the original unadulterated ANSI C Specification so that
> we can write our code based on our interpretation of the
> specs and not someone else's.  There must be some government
> office somewhere that distributes this stuff.
> Steve.
> Steve A. Feinstein                          stevef@crash.cts.com
> Data Trek Inc.
> 5838 Edison Place
> Carlsbad, CA 92008-6596

You can order the specification directly from ANSI.  The price is $50 plus
$6 shipping and handling.  The address is:

    American National Standards Institute
    Sales Office
    1430 Broadway
    New York, NY  10018
    1-212-642-4900

Ask for document number X3.159

Also, you can order it from Global Engineering Documents (1-800-854-7179).
I don't have their address handy, but they're on McGaw Avenue in Irvine, CA.
Also, last time I talked to them, they didn't have the ANSI spec yet.  But,
give 'em a shout.

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"

roger@everexn.uucp (Roger House) (07/06/90)

In <3393@crash.cts.com> stevef@crash.cts.com (Steve Feinstein) writes:

>Would someone please let me know how I can get a copy of
>the original unadulterated ANSI C Specification so that
>we can write our code based on our interpretation of the
>specs and not someone else's.  There must be some government
>office somewhere that distributes this stuff.
>Steve.

What you are looking for is called "American National Standard for Information
Systems - Programming Language - C".  Also known as ANSI X3.159-1989.  You
can obtain a copy for (I believe) $56.00 from

		American National Standards Institute
		1430 Broadway
		New York, New York 10018
		212-642-4900
		212-302-1286 (fax)

							Roger House

walter@hpcllca.HP.COM (Walter Murray) (07/10/90)

> Would someone please let me know how I can get a copy of
> the original unadulterated ANSI C Specification so that
> we can write our code based on our interpretation of the
> specs and not someone else's.  There must be some government
> office somewhere that distributes this stuff.

You can order directly from ANSI, as others have pointed out.
You might also try your favorite computer book store.  Here in
Silicon Valley, I noticed the other day that Computer Literacy
has them in stock.

Walter Murray
------