[comp.lang.c] TC++ Utils and mouse problems

aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) (07/13/90)

In article <7790@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
>In article <AV.90Jul12093734@kielo.uta.fi> av@uta.fi (Arto Viitanen) writes:

(Talking about TC++ util programs locking up and requiring a reboot).

>>Yes, I had quite similar problems. They disappered, when I changed NNANSI.SYS
>>ansi-driver to NANSIS.SYS ansi-driver.

>Yep, sad but true. I am the author of NNANSI.SYS (an "improved version" of
>NANSI.SYS which I did not write), and your description is correct.

But don't be so quick to accept this as the final word...

I get turbo debugger (td386) to lock up every time, and this is with
nothing special running (no nansi.sys, etc.).  It is with the same (large)
program; I haven't tried other code yet.

I haven't bothered to call them on it, given that they'll just claim
they know nothing about it.  But anyway, it fails for me regularly. :-(

If anyone out there has other ideas... let's hear em.

(I did call them with another problem and I am (still) very disappointed
in Borland's tech support.  On this particular program, using overlays,
it routinely gets an exception 13 (which is nowhere documented in any
of the Borland manuals, BTW).  This happens in the startup code, i.e.,
before main.  Without overlays, it runs fine.  Anyway, tech support says
if I mail in the code, or the usual recreation-via-small-program,
they'll look into it -- in THREE MONTHS.  Geez, this program is
scheduled for release in two!  Anyway, I tried to get them to let me
have a copy of the overlay manager source code, but they were very
prissy about it and have so far said no way.  At this point I'm
debugging it via the disassembly, but of course having to reboot
every time I want to quit the debugger is a major nuisance!)

--
Andrew Burt 				   			uunet!isis!aburt
								or aburt@du.edu

                            "Kwyjibo on the loose!"

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (07/14/90)

In article <4029@isis.UUCP> aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) writes:

>(I did call them with another problem and I am (still) very disappointed
>in Borland's tech support.  On this particular program, using overlays,
>it routinely gets an exception 13 (which is nowhere documented in any
>of the Borland manuals, BTW).  This happens in the startup code, i.e.,

Do you, perchance, also run QEMM on the same system?

Exception #13 is the infamous result of programs that don't get along
with QEMM.. usually something to do with segment wrap around.  The only
one I know of so far is FASTBACK 2.00, but my tc++ has yet to arrive.

There is a doc file on simtel (in the msdos.desqview area) which is from
Quarterdeck, explaining Exception #13 in more detail.  This info is also
in the QEMM 5.0 manual, but not in that for prior releases.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh614!mlord | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (07/14/90)

In article <3777@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>In article <4029@isis.UUCP> aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) writes:
>>
>>(I did call them with another problem and I am (still) very disappointed
>>in Borland's tech support.  On this particular program, using overlays,
>>it routinely gets an exception 13 (which is nowhere documented in any
>>of the Borland manuals, BTW).  This happens in the startup code, i.e.,
>
>Do you, perchance, also run QEMM on the same system?
>
>Exception #13 is the infamous result of programs that don't get along
>with QEMM.. usually something to do with segment wrap around.  The only
>one I know of so far is FASTBACK 2.00, but my tc++ has yet to arrive.
>
>There is a doc file on simtel (in the msdos.desqview area) which is from
>Quarterdeck, explaining Exception #13 in more detail.  This info is also
>in the QEMM 5.0 manual, but not in that for prior releases.

Although Qemm issues that message, A LOT of 386 (and presumably 286)
protected mode programs (Like Td386 for instance) will report processor
exceptions, and if you look in the Intel 80386 programmers reference manual
you will find that exception #13 is a general protection violation - note that
there are things in real mode that will cause this as well, such as accesing
a word at seg:FFFF the offset address of the hihg order byte of the word being
access lies in teh next segment which is illegal in real mode.

 Cheers!
 Steve

Steve Resnick -<stever@octopus.COM apple!octopus!stever sun!vsi1!octopus!stever>
408/241-1533 Process Scientific, Inc.
"0x2B|~0x2B THAT is the question!"

6600m00n@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jihad 'R US) (07/14/90)

In article <4029@isis.UUCP> aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) writes:

>I get turbo debugger (td386) to lock up every time, and this is with
>nothing special running (no nansi.sys, etc.).  It is with the same (large)
>program; I haven't tried other code yet.

>I haven't bothered to call them on it, given that they'll just claim
they know nothing about it.  But anyway, it fails for me regularly. :-(

>If anyone out there has other ideas... let's hear em.

I too have had problems using the mouse and td386.  When I move the
mouse after breaking the execution, I get an ' unexpected interrupt'
error, and a register dump.  (eithor error code 0d  or 06)
When I talked to Borland  about the problem, they said that  other
people  had reported the problem, and it might have to do with mouse
incompatibilities.  They said that the mouse must be Microsoft
compatible version 6.0 or higher, or logitech (something) or higher.
FYI, i am using a genius 6000 mouse, driver version 8.08.

>(I did call them with another problem and I am (still) very disappointed
>in Borland's tech support.  On this particular program, using overlays,
>it routinely gets an exception 13 (which is nowhere documented in any
>of the Borland manuals, BTW).  This happens in the startup code, i.e.,
>before main.  Without overlays, it runs fine.  Anyway, tech support says
 < grip about borland tech support>

Exception 13 is a facet of the 386.  It is a General Protection error.
 It could be an attempt by the overlay maneger to do some things and
failing because it is in virtual 8086 mode. ( which alot of EMS
emulators do)  Try disabling the ems, xms, and/or the extended memory
swapping.
  Also, you might want to get a book about the 386 chip to help you
understand it.

Robert B Blair
6600m00n@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu