[comp.lang.c] Using printer with turbo C?

SLTGK@cc.usu.edu (07/17/90)

	My brother is trying to print in turbo C to his printer-so far with
very limited success. If anyone knows a more elegant way to do this other
than using a screen dump please e-mail me an answer.  We have tried various
things using the printf() but without apparent success.
	Thanks in advance.
				James LaMunyon
				BITNET: SLTGK@USU

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (07/19/90)

In article <28289@cc.usu.edu> SLTGK@cc.usu.edu writes:

>	My brother is trying to print in turbo C to his printer-so far with
>very limited success. If anyone knows a more elegant way to do this other
>than using a screen dump please e-mail me an answer.  We have tried various
>things using the printf() but without apparent success.

Just use the stdio library functions (fprintf, fwrite, fputc, etc.) and
give 'stdprn' as the FILE pointer.  This stream is automagically opened
for you just like stdin, stdout and stderr.  There is also stdaux which
is supposed to handle the serial port but then you have to depend on the
MSDOS serial routines.  Yechh.  This of course is entirely non-portable
but so what else is new in MDSDOS programming.

I have redirected followups as this is a system specific question.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude

axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) (07/26/90)

Hello,

I have the following problem:
I need to use a 4 dimensional array of which only the last dimension I know.
I found out that: array_name[][][][50] doesn't work (it's in there - K&R :-)).
I tried to declare a pointer to a pointer to a pointer to a pointer...e.t.c
but to no avail. I allocate memory with calloc of course. I would appreciate
some info. on this: how to declare such a beast, how to allocate memory for
the other dimensions, and how to prototype it. And if there is some time left,
I need some enlightenment on the following:
(*)[10] is a pointer to an array of 10.
(*(*))[10] is a pointer to a pointer to an array of 10?
And if the size of 10 is not specified is this equivalent to *** ?
Thank you in advance.

Vassilios E. Axaris.