[comp.lang.c] Is there a C "check" program which accepts ANSI C ?

tim@bhpmrl.oz.au (Tim Monks) (07/26/90)

I have a version of the "check" program written by Nick Crossley of
Computer Consoles Inc. Irvine way back in 1988. It attempts to check
the syntax of C programs in a more heuristic fashion than lint.
Unfortunately it doesn't like in-line declarations of variables in
function names, eg:
	int foo(int bar)
	{
	  :
	}
generates a syntax error.

Is there a version of "check" which does accept this style syntax ?
Does anyone know the email address of Nick ?  What does everyone else use ?

Regards,
	Tim.
--
Dr. Tim Monks

Image Processing & Data Analysis Group   |   (direct) (+61-3)566-7448
BHP Melbourne Research Laboratories      |   (switch) (+61-3)560-7066
245 Wellington Rd, Mulgrave, 3170,       |   (fax)    (+61-3)561-6709
AUSTRALIA                                |   (EMAIL)  tim@merlin.bhpmrl.oz.au

ndjc@hobbit.UUCP (Nick Crossley) (07/28/90)

In article <1590@merlin.bhpmrl.oz.au> tim@bhpmrl.oz.au (Tim Monks) writes:
>I have a version of the "check" program written by Nick Crossley of
>Computer Consoles Inc. Irvine way back in 1988.
>Unfortunately it doesn't like (ANSI C constructs).
>Is there a version of "check" which does accept this style syntax ?
>Does anyone know the email address of Nick ?  What does everyone else use ?

My email address is as per my signature below.  I have not updated check
to deal with ANSI C syntax (and other problems in the original, such as
not allowing redefinition of typedef names as variables in inner scopes).
This is partly due to lack of time, but mostly because I now have no need.
The AT&T V.4 lint does most of the checking I want.  One day, I may get
round to fixing 'check'.

--

<<< standard disclaimers >>>
Nick Crossley, ICL NA, 9801 Muirlands, Irvine, CA 92718-2521, USA 714-458-7282