[comp.lang.c] Turbo C++ vs. Zortec 2.1

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (07/26/90)

What are peoples experiences with Turbo C++ and ZOrtech C++, in particular
their  use of extended and expanded memory?

tjt@cbnewsh.att.com (timothy.j.thompson) (07/26/90)

From article <2225@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, by bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler):
> What are peoples experiences with Turbo C++ and ZOrtech C++, in particular
> their  use of extended and expanded memory?

I've successfully used the __handle pointer in Zortech C/C++ to access
expanded memory (although only with certain expanded memory managers)
to get (much) more than 640K of data.   I've only read the glossy
descriptions of Turbo C++, but it sounds like its VROOM (is that right?)
stuff only applies to the *text* of a program, not the *data*.
Can you get access to more than 640K of *data* with Turbo C++ ?
                                   ...Tim Thompson...tjt@twitch.att.com...

Bob.Stout@p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Stout) (07/26/90)

In a message of <Jul 26 03:55>, timothy.j.thompson (tjt@cbnewsh.att.com ) writes:

 >> What are peoples experiences with Turbo C++ and ZOrtech C++, in particular
 >> their  use of extended and expanded memory?
 >
 >I've successfully used the __handle pointer in Zortech C/C++ to access
 >expanded memory (although only with certain expanded memory managers)
 >to get (much) more than 640K of data.   I've only read the glossy
 >descriptions of Turbo C++, but it sounds like its VROOM (is that right?)
 >stuff only applies to the *text* of a program, not the *data*.
 >Can you get access to more than 640K of *data* with Turbo C++ ?

  VROOMM only overlays code, not data. TC++ currently has no inbuilt support
of virtual data. ZTC++ 2.1 includes VCM, not as slickly named as VROOM, but
better designed, IMHO. Both VCM and VROOMM are overlay managers for code only.

daf@public.BTR.COM (David A. Feustel daf@btr.com) (07/27/90)

Dewhurst & Stark's book on C++ shows how to implementok virtual arrays in
C++; the virtual array can be on any accessible media.

mejia@cs.umn.edu (John C. Mejia) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul26.035511.3640@cbnewsh.att.com> tjt@cbnewsh.att.com
(timothy.j.thompson) writes: ....stuff deleted >descriptions of Turbo
C++, but it sounds like its VROOM (is that right?)  >stuff only
applies to the *text* of a program, not the *data*.  >Can you get
access to more than 640K of *data* with Turbo C++ ?  > ...Tim
Thompson...tjt@twitch.att.com...

Sure, just use one of the larger memory models.  This gives you access
to up to 1MB of code or data (depending on the memory model) but after
that, I'm not sure what (if anything) VROOM will do if you need more
than 1MB of data.  As for code, I understand it automatically takes
care of this overlay stuff.

                               John C. Mejia
E-MAIL (in order of preference)                                    VOICE
mejia@cs.umn.edu                                              612-625-8348 (W)
mejia%csfsa.cs.umn.edu@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu                      612-338-7336 (H)
                                               / F
                                  __o         / I
               __o              -\<,         / N
              -\<,  ...........O / O        / I
..............O/ O                         / S
                                          / H

tjt@cbnewsh.att.com (timothy.j.thompson) (07/28/90)

From article <1990Jul27.184029.7317@cs.umn.edu>, by mejia@cs.umn.edu (John C. Mejia):
> In article <1990Jul26.035511.3640@cbnewsh.att.com> tjt@cbnewsh.att.com
>> (timothy.j.thompson) writes: ....stuff deleted >descriptions of Turbo
>> C++, but it sounds like its VROOM (is that right?)  >stuff only
>> applies to the *text* of a program, not the *data*.  >Can you get
> Sure, just use one of the larger memory models.  This gives you access
> to up to 1MB of code or data (depending on the memory model) but after
> that, I'm not sure what (if anything) VROOM will do if you need more

The Zortec __handle pointer allows you to access far more than 1 MB of data,
and I suspect it may even work on CPUs that can't handle a larger memory model.
Looks like Turbo C++ doesn't provide anything equivalent.   ...Tim...