[comp.lang.c] _setenv function???

dmorris@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug Morris) (07/30/90)

Just a question to some who may know.
Recently trying to install some mail frontends on a SUN 3 I ran into the
function setenv().  Where the code was trying to set an environment variable
for the process.  Now most unix types are familar with this functionality
from the cshell and it does make sense that you could do the same from within
a program.  However,  I cannot seem to make Sun C recognize this!  I cannot
find the appropriate library reference to link in the function.
Does anyone have an idea where this function may be found?

Thanks for any help.

Doug Morris
University of Illinois
Biomedical Magnetic Resonance Lab
Urbana Illinois 61801
dmorris@aries.scs.uiuc.edu

george@hls0.hls.oz (George Turczynski) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul30.150516.4430@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dmorris@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug Morris) writes:
> Just a question to some who may know.
> Recently trying to install some mail frontends on a SUN 3 I ran into the
> function setenv().
... Deleted ...
> Does anyone have an idea where this function may be found?

Well, I don't know of a setenv() function in Sun's C library, but I suggest you use putenv() to
set environment variables, and getenv() to retrieve them.

Have a nice day...

George P. J. Turczynski.          | ACSnet: george@highland.oz
                                  | Phone: 61 48 683490
Computer Systems Engineer.        | Fax:   61 48 683474
                                  |----------------------
Highland Logic Pty. Ltd.          | I can't speak for the
Suite 1, 348-354 Argyle Street    | company, I can barely
Moss Vale. NSW. 2577 Australia    | speak for myself...

ptb@ittc.wec.com (Pat Broderick) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul30.150516.4430@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dmorris@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug Morris) writes:
> Recently trying to install some mail frontends on a SUN 3 I ran into the
> function setenv().  ...

There is a function putenv(3) which should be able to do what you
require.  It adds or changes an environment variable.  See the man page
for details.  Hope this helps.
--
Patrick T. Broderick           |ptb@ittc.wec.com |
                               |uunet!ittc!ptb   |