[comp.lang.c] Where can I FTP the ANSI C standard?

mikej@marob.masa.com (Michael Johnston) (08/01/90)

Can someone tell me where (if anywhere) I might be able to get a copy of
the ANSI C standard via FTP? Thanks.

--
Michael R. Johnston                          / mikej@marob.masa.com
System Administrator         Temporary Email:

In article <26B5BC96.4835@marob.masa.com> mikej@marob.masa.com (Michael Johnston) writes:
>Can someone tell me where (if anywhere) I might be able to get a copy of
>the ANSI C standard via FTP? Thanks.

You can't.  It is not available in machine-readable form.  The copyright
holder, ANSI, relies on sales of printed standards to support its work,
and accordingly does not make standards available in easily-copied forms.
(There have recently been some doubts raised about the copyright situation,
though, so this might change in future.)

(Steve, a note about this in the FAQ list might be a good idea.)
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (08/02/90)

In article <26B5BC96.4835@marob.masa.com> mikej@marob.masa.com (Michael Johnston) writes:
>Can someone tell me where (if anywhere) I might be able to get a copy of
>the ANSI C standard via FTP? Thanks.

Correct me if I am wrong  (Has anyone in a news group ever NOT been
corrected when wrong?  :-)  ) but the last time this came up I recall
it being stated that the ANSI C standard was NOT to be distributed
electronically for a variety of reasons.  (This suggests a possible
addition to the excellent FAQ file that has just been created.)
As I recall the reasons included protecting people from using guidelines
that had been modified, as well as to raise money for ANSI.

To quote the C FAQ doc:

Copies are available from

    American National Standards Institute
    1430 Broadway
    New York, NY  10018
    (212) 642-4900

    or

    Global Engineering Documents
    2805 McGaw Avenue
    Irvine, CA  92714
    (714) 261-1455

The cose is approximately $50.00, plus $6.00 shipping.  Quantity
discounts are available.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108