[comp.lang.c] Info request for Power C compiler

mdperry@boulder.colorado.edu (Marc D. Perry) (07/31/90)

I recently received a package of postcards from BYTE magazine; each
card contains advertising info on a specific product and one of these
sounds too good to be true.  For 19.95 MIX software will send you the
Power C compliler with features like: make, linker, libraries (10
bucks more), 600 page manual, ANSI std., IEEE floating point,
automatic register variables, supports all graphics.  They also show a
small chart comparing Power C with Microsoft C and Borland's Turbo C,
needless to say Power C is comparable or faster in every category.  I
have never bought a compiler before but am considering this one.  I
would be interested in learning if anyone else has used this program,
particularly if you have also used a higher priced compiler and can
compare the two.  Obviously for 20 bucks you don't get a friendly
environment with a built in editor and lots of toggling back and
forth to test things and debug them etc.  But do I really need those
things if I am not a developer?

Thanks,
mdp

Marc D. Perry                               (303) 492 8258
MCD Biology, Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0347
internet: mdperry@boulder.colorado.edu

catfood@NCoast.ORG (Mark W. Schumann) (08/02/90)

In article <24164@boulder.Colorado.EDU> mdperry@beagle (Marc D. Perry) writes:

>I recently received a package of postcards from BYTE magazine; each
>card contains advertising info on a specific product and one of these
>sounds too good to be true.  For 19.95 MIX software will send you the
>Power C compliler with features like: make, linker, libraries (10
>bucks more), 600 page manual, ANSI std., IEEE floating point,
>automatic register variables, supports all graphics.  They also show a

                          [lots deleted here]

>Marc D. Perry                               (303) 492 8258

I've used Power C almost exclusively for utilities and just
hacking around with DOS.  It is an excellent deal.  My only
major disappointment is that its object files are in a
proprietary non-Intel format (.MIX extension), and the
tech support people won't tell how to convert a .MIX file
to .OBJ.  There is, however, a utility included that will
make the conversion the other way.

Therefore, you can include assembler or other routines in
your Power C program, but there is no realistic way to
write Power C functions to link into an application written
mainly in some other language.  Don't believe the /q switch
in the documentation--it doesn't work.

This has been a major hassle for me as I do a lot of
Clipper programming and would like to link in some hot
C routines... oh well, it was just 20 bucks.

By the way, their debugger is excellent too--except that
it doesn't understand arrays of function pointers and refuses
to run when it finds them.

Buy both if you want to get out cheaply and learn some C.
For a realistic production environment, maybe not.

Hope this helps.

Mark W. Schumann
catfood@ncoast.org
uunet!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!catfood

Mark W. Schumann
Domain: catfood@ncoast.org
UseNet: ...cwjcc!ncoast!catfood

mayne@VSSERV.SCRI.FSU.EDU (William (Bill) Mayne) (08/03/90)

>In article <24164@boulder.Colorado.EDU> mdperry@beagle (Marc D. Perry) writes:
>
>>I recently received a package of postcards from BYTE magazine; each
>>card contains advertising info on a specific product and one of these
>>sounds too good to be true.  For 19.95 MIX software will send you the
>>Power C compliler with features like: make, linker, libraries (10
>>bucks more), 600 page manual, ANSI std., IEEE floating point,
>>automatic register variables, supports all graphics.  They also show a
>
>                          [lots deleted here]
>
>>Marc D. Perry                               (303) 492 8258
For learning a little C and finding out if you like it MIX C is fine.
However, considering its limitations which another respondant has
detailed I would recommend you spend not too much more for Turbo C if
you can afford it. I see you are at an .EDU site, so you can probably
get Turbo C for $49.95 under the educational discount plan. Turbo C++
would be $69.95. At least those are the prices at FSU. For that you
get a really solid and main stream compiler, three or four volumes
of okay documentation. And an excellent editting and debugging
environment.

You question whether you need the integrated development environment,
saying that you are not a developer. Actually the IDE is (IMHO, I don't
know what insiders at Borland think) aimed more at the student and hobby
market than developers. Developers can and do spend more bucks for
LANs, better editors, source code control systems, hardware assisted
debuggers, etc. A decent and not too expensive programming environment
is important if you are programming for education and/or pleasure.

By the way, even if you aren't interested in C++ right now you might
want to spend the extra $20 to get it over Turbo C. The C subset of
Turbo C is just like their C. It compiles only a little slower (not
enough to be problem) and may not produce quite as good object code.
But since you aren't a developer that won't matter much. The editor
is better, allowing you to edit many files at once. It would be worth
the difference to me for that feature alone. And if you do want to
dabble in C++ you could.