[comp.lang.c] Stupid users

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (08/03/90)

In article <kai4=Fi00Ug7E7alJa@andrew.cmu.edu>,
	jpab+@andrew.cmu.edu (Josh N. Pritikin) writes:
)>>    1. That in C, a= +1 and a=+ 1 are different.
)...
)I believe that the first example was in reference to the old C syntax.
)Now in C, whitespace doesn't change meaning, anywhere.

Ahum.
	foo = a+++b;
vs.
	foo = a+ ++b;
--
   "UNIX was never designed to keep people from doing stupid things, because
    that policy would also keep them from doing clever things."  (Doug Gwyn)

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (08/06/90)

>Ahum.
>        foo = a+++b;
>vs.
>        foo = a+ ++b;

Of course you could write:

         foo = ++a+++++b++;

and confuse a lot of people (and compilers!)

Kevin

jonb@specialix.co.uk (Jon Brawn) (08/08/90)

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:

>Of course you could write:

>         foo = ++a+++++b++;

I prefer *++*++av to whip the flags out of the command line arguments
(I know its not robust, only works for one flag at a time, etc. and
I should be using getopts anyway, BUT it is short & punchy).

--
Jon Brawn, Specialix, 3 Wintersells Road, Byfleet, Surrey, KT14 7LF, UK.
Tel: +44(0)9323-54254,	Fax:+44(0)9323-52781,	jonb@specialix.co.uk

hp@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) (08/08/90)

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:

>Of course you could write:

>         foo = ++a+++++b++;

>and confuse a lot of people (and compilers!)
			      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They surely are confused by this piece of non-C code:
The above code is equivalent to:
foo = ((++a)++)++ + b++;

(++ a) is not an l-value; so (++ a)++ is not valid C.
Any compiler accepting this code is broken.

Regards, Peter
--
|    _	| Peter J. Holzer			| Think of it	|
| |_|_)	| Technische Universitaet Wien		| as evolution	|

berg@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (AKA Solitair) (08/09/90)

In article <7219@star.cs.vu.nl> maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
>In article <kai4=Fi00Ug7E7alJa@andrew.cmu.edu>,
>	jpab+@andrew.cmu.edu (Josh N. Pritikin) writes:
>)>>    1. That in C, a= +1 and a=+ 1 are different.
>)...
>)I believe that the first example was in reference to the old C syntax.
>)Now in C, whitespace doesn't change meaning, anywhere.
>
>Ahum.
>	foo = a+++b;
>vs.
>	foo = a+ ++b;