[comp.lang.c] What is _doprnt

seaotter@athena.mit.edu (Stacy L Ramirez) (08/16/90)

Came across this the other day...

	static FILE fil;
	char *fmt;
	int args;

	_doprnt(fmt,asrgs,&fil);

but I can't find any documentation of what _doprnt is: grep through
/usr/include/*.h, /usr/man/cat3/* fails to show any _doprnt.  Can
someone please tell me what it does and how I can implement it with
other functions from the standard headers?

Any help is *MUCH* appreciated...

Peace dammit,

Mike

____Mike_Zraly____________________________________________________________
|	obligatory address	: c/o seaotter@athena.mit.edu		 |
|	obligatory disclaimer	: My views don't represent anyone but me |
|	obligatory quote	: Nothing takes the taste out of peanut  |
|				  butter quite like unrequited love.	 |
|							-- Charlie Brown |
:________________________________________________________________________:

In article <1990Aug15.233317.18877@athena.mit.edu>
seaotter@athena.mit.edu (Stacy L Ramirez) writes:
>	static FILE fil;
>	_doprnt(fmt,asrgs,&fil);
>but I can't find any documentation of what _doprnt is ....

_doprnt does not exist.  Well, at least not on my machine.  (Neither
does stdin->_flag.  One might be surprised how many programs use the
latter.  NNTP just broke, for instance.)

The reason there is no documentation is that it is an internal, private
function.  It implements the raw workings of `printf' based on a bunch
of private data fields in the `FILE' argument.

>Can someone please tell me what it does and how I can implement it with
>other functions from the standard headers?

Chances are that whatever program you have that uses _doprnt actually
wants vsprintf.
	(New campus phone system, active sometime soon: +1 301 405 2750)