[comp.lang.c] Reading and writing long longs

djs@nimbus3.uucp (Doug) (08/16/90)

The Data General AViiON workstation supplies gcc as its native compiler.
One of the GNU extensions are the long long data type (64 bit ints).
The compiler seems to like them just fine, however, I can't find a way
to print them out or read them in.  A look through the man pages for
printf, scanf and the GNU gcc info files reveals nothing interesting.
Am I overlooking something?
--
Doug Scofea   Email: nimbus3!djs@cis.ohio-state.edu    Phone:+1 614 459-1889

cjr@cs.bham.ac.uk (Chris Ridd <RiddCJ>) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug15.202310.20322@nimbus3.uucp> djs@nimbus3.UUCP
(Doug) writes:
>The Data General AViiON workstation supplies gcc as its native compiler.
>One of the GNU extensions are the long long data type (64 bit ints).

  What's the type called?  'enormous int' (as opposed to short and
long int)?  :-)

   Chris

-- Chris Ridd, Computer Science, Birmingham Uni, UK -- RiddCJ@Cs.Bham.Ac.Uk --

"'It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it,' said War testily, 'the One
Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse.'" - Sourcery

roland@ai.mit.edu (Roland McGrath) (08/22/90)

The GNU C library's printf and scanf functions support long long ints.
So, when I release the C library (don't ask when), you will be able to do:

	{
	  long long int foo;
	  scanf("%lld", &foo);
	  printf("%lld\n", foo);
	}

you can also use `L' (which means long double for e, f, and g formats) to
specify long long int for formats which deal with ints.
--
	Roland McGrath
	Free Software Foundation, Inc.