[comp.lang.c] Converts Fortran code to C code

kumai@karamatsu.sys1.fxis.fujixerox.co.jp (Kazuya Kumai) (08/02/90)

Converts Fortran code to C code.

Do you know the tool (public domain) that converts Fortran code to C
code?
If you do, will you kindly send it to me?  I will really appreciate
your advice or any comments.

Thank you.

rosenkra@convex1.convex.com (William Rosencranz) (08/05/90)

In article <1976@fxisms.fxis.fujixerox.co.jp> kumai@karamatsu.sys1.fxis.fujixerox.co.jp (Kazuya Kumai) writes:

>Converts Fortran code to C code.
>
>Do you know the tool (public domain) that converts Fortran code to C
>code?

this question has been asked several times. the tool is "f2c" and the
version i know was written at at&t, as i recall. it works quite well.

it is available via anonymous FTP from:

	research.att.com

in pub/dist/f2c.

if you can't ftp, then sending mail to netlib:

	mail netlib@research.att.com
	send index

should get you started. it is quite large to post. i don't recall seing
this posted to comp.sources.{unix,misc}. it is also worth the effort to
get it.

hope this helps...

-bill
rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

In article <104630@convex.convex.com> rosenkra@convex1.convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:
>it is available via anonymous FTP from:
>
>	research.att.com
>
>in pub/dist/f2c.

Um, there is no pub/dist directory on research.att.com at the moment.
Not that FTP can find, anyway.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

jwe@ut-emx.UUCP (John W. Eaton) (08/05/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

> (William Rosencranz) writes:
>> [f2c] is available via anonymous FTP from:
>>
>>	research.att.com
>>
>> in pub/dist/f2c.
>
> Um, there is no pub/dist directory on research.att.com at the moment.
> Not that FTP can find, anyway.

No, but there is a directory  dist/f2c  which _does_ have the f2c and
f77 library files.

--
John Eaton
jwe@emx.utexas.edu

In article <1990Aug5.064809.9619@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article i wrote
>>it is available via anonymous FTP from:
>>
>>	research.att.com
>>
>>in pub/dist/f2c.
>
>Um, there is no pub/dist directory on research.att.com at the moment.

grrrr...thank u henry. it should be dist/f2c....sorry...

BTW/FYI: much of the vectorizable fortran that i pump thru f2c produces
vectorizable C code (admitedly not too much since i just joined
convex a few months ago). also note that the way convex does directives
in C (using "/*$dir ... */") results in recognizable directives for
the convex C compiler (vc or cc v4.0). cray (and alliant) uses
"#pragma ..." in scc. this was a pleasant suprise the first time i
tried it and is a distinct plus, IMHO...

In article <35203@ut-emx.UUCP> jwe@emx.utexas.edu (John W. Eaton) writes:
>> Um, there is no pub/dist directory on research.att.com at the moment.
>> Not that FTP can find, anyway.
>
>No, but there is a directory  dist/f2c  which _does_ have the f2c and
>f77 library files.

Not last night there wasn't; I looked thoroughly and carefully.  However,
there is now.  A pox (a minor one :-)) on people who don't post "renovations
in progress" signs...
--

etienne@accsys.ccs.imp.com (Stefan Hauser) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug5.212907.21545@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <35203@ut-emx.UUCP> jwe@emx.utexas.edu (John W. Eaton) writes:
>>> Um, there is no pub/dist directory on research.att.com at the moment.
>>
>>No, but there is a directory  dist/f2c  which _does_ have the f2c and
>>f77 library files.
>
>Not last night there wasn't; I looked thoroughly and carefully.  However,

i got f2c and libs on 6 (or 7?) aug from research.att.com. also there must
be something... BUT.. 'dir' shows noting. (i see this on other hosts too...
why ??) the trick, do an 'ls -l' or 'ls -FC' for long or short list.
perhaps the peoples out there go fix their ftp-servers, so these work
the way they sould.....

   stefan

(ps sorry for my english.... perhaps i'm going to learn it, sometime in the
future..:-)

--
Stefan Hauser | CH-Sargans | EMAIL : etienne@accsys.ccs.imp.com

lrul00@dixel.Kodak.COM (Richard C. Dempsey) (08/17/90)

In article <657@accsys.ccs.imp.com> etienne@accsys.ccs.imp.com (Stefan Hauser) writes:

>i got f2c and libs on 6 (or 7?) aug from research.att.com. also there must
>be something... BUT.. 'dir' shows nothing. (i see this on other hosts too...
>why ??) the trick, do an 'ls -l' or 'ls -FC' for long or short list.
>perhaps the peoples out there go fix their ftp-servers, so these work
>the way they should .....

I ran into this same problem (being unable to get a directory from
research.att.com).  There are two solutions:

1) use the netlib mail server
   start out by saying

	% mail netlib@research.att.com
	  Subject: send index

   read the reply, and go from there.  My guess is that 'send index
   from dist/f2c' will tell you what's in the f2c distribution.

2) fix your ftp client by getting the latest release of ftp.  I got
   mine from the BSD-4.3 tahoe distribution at wuarchive.wustl.edu
   I can't build it yet, because I have to find herror(3), but we'll
   get there.  Evidently, there have been some changes in the official
   ftp protocol that are not yet reflected in the vendors products.
   for example, Ultrix uses the old protocols.

---
--
Richard C. Dempsey			dempsey@Kodak.COM
Computational Science Laboratory	(716) 477-3457

andys@ulysses.att.com (Andy Sherman) (08/20/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>rosenkra@convex1.convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:
>>f2c is available via anonymous FTP from:
>>	research.att.com
>>in pub/dist/f2c.
>Um, there is no pub/dist directory on research.att.com at the moment.
>Not that FTP can find, anyway.

The directory is dist/f2c.

Andy Sherman/AT&T Bell Laboratories/Murray Hill, NJ
AUDIBLE:  (201) 582-5928
READABLE: andys@ulysses.att.com  or att!ulysses!andys
What? Me speak for AT&T?  You must be joking!

martin@slsvax.harvard.edu (Pat Martin) (08/23/90)

In article <13626@ulysses.att.com>, andys@ulysses.att.com (Andy Sherman) writes...
>henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>rosenkra@convex1.convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:
>>>f2c is available via anonymous FTP from:
>>>	research.att.com
>>>in pub/dist/f2c.
>>Um, there is no pub/dist directory on research.att.com at the moment.
>>Not that FTP can find, anyway.
>
>The directory is dist/f2c.

Unfortunately, as of 900822, the dist directory is mode 770, which makes
it impossible to FTP from via the anonymous account.  Can someone at
research.att.com please change this (or suggest another route)?

Thanks
..pkm
Patrick Martin
Martin@SLSIris.Harvard.Edu

Disclaimer: I get taxed too much to afford an opinion.