[comp.lang.c] ridiculous words

In article <26122@mimsy.umd.edu> I wrote, in response to

>>(unwords like "internationalisation", I mean)

the following:

>Well, I am not particularly enamoured of polysyllabic neologisms
>applied epideictically myself. :-)  But I evagate:

Before I get any more queries, I have to confess: I got two of these
words out of `Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous
Words', by Josefa Heifetz Byrne (ISBN 0-671-49782-0, published by
Washington Square Press, which is a division of Pocket Books, which
is in turn a division of Simon and Schuster, Inc., 1230 Avenue of
the Americas, New York, New York, 10012, USA).  These are:

    epideictic (adj): impressive; for display purposes; exhibitable.

and

    evagation (n): mental wandering; digression.

This is indeed, as the back cover notes, a book for logolepts (word
maniacs).  The thing most wrong with it is the bold font, which is too
heavy and makes distinguising between lowercase `i' and `l' very
difficult---so much so, in fact, that the back cover gets it wrong,
claiming to be a book for `iogolepts'!

Anyway, enough non-C non-sense for now,
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)

browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems) (08/26/90)

In article <26190@mimsy.umd.edu>, chris@mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:

>                                          a book for logolepts (word
> maniacs).

Terrific!  Can we start talk.logolepts?  I wanted a conference for those of us
who are English freaks, but couldn't think of a good name!

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.         (216) 371-0043
The opinions expressed are mine. Mine alone!  Nobody else is responsible for
them or even endorses them--except my cat Dexter, and he signed the power of
attorney only under my threat to cut off his Cat Chow!