[comp.lang.c] Free C Compilers

thssgkt@iitmax.IIT.EDU (George Thiruvathukal) (08/31/90)

Is anyone out there aware of free compilers for the C programming language
which run under the IBM-PC (MS-DOS) environment.  In particular, my interest
lies in compilers which are of the caliber of GNU-C.  It would be vastly
desirable for a C compiler to support the ANSI C standard and multiple memory
models, but I realize that my expectations are a bit high with regard to both
desired features.

Thanks for all help in advance.

--

 George K. Thiruvathukal

 Illinois Institute of Technology         Argonne National Laboratory
 Chicago, IL 60616                        Argonne, IL 60439

 thssgkt@iitmax.iit.edu                   gkt@athens.ees.anl.gov
 thirgeo@iitvax.bitnet

 "The cause of all world problems: E = mc^2."

joe@proto.COM (Joe Huffman) (09/03/90)

In article <4180@iitmax.IIT.EDU>, thssgkt@iitmax.IIT.EDU (George Thiruvathukal) writes:
> Is anyone out there aware of free compilers for the C programming language
> which run under the IBM-PC (MS-DOS) environment.  In particular, my interest
> lies in compilers which are of the caliber of GNU-C.  It would be vastly
> desirable for a C compiler to support the ANSI C standard and multiple memory
> models, but I realize that my expectations are a bit high with regard to both

.
.
.

>  thssgkt@iitmax.iit.edu
		      ^^^
This qualifies you for the educational discount from Zortech.  It's not free
of course but $75.00 for the compiler and $200.00 for the Developer's  Edition
(which includes the debugger, class libraries, and source code to the
runtime libraries) is still very cheap considering you get more than just a
C compiler.  You get full featured C and C++ compiler plus support that you
would not receive if you were to find a free compiler.

To order or for more information you can send email to
zortech-ed@proto.com.  If you are ready to order send your VISA or
MasterCard number and a phone number.

---
Zortech mailing list: send email to 'ztc-list-request@uunet' with:
Add: your-user-name@your-machine-name
In the body of the message.
---
Send Zortech bug reports to 'zortech-bugs@proto.com'
---
Zortech is my major source of income.  Statements about them or their
competitors cannot be totally without bias.
--
joe@proto.com
FAX: 208-263-8772

John.Passaniti@f201.n260.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John Passaniti) (09/05/90)

 > >  thssgkt@iitmax.iit.edu
 >                       ^^^
 > This qualifies you for the educational discount from
 > Zortech.

     Incidentally, most companies offer an educational
discount, or if you get a nice salesperson can be talked
into it.  When I was in college, I got Microsoft's 'C'
compiler as well as Lotus Development Corporation's 1-2-3,
both for significant discounts.  I know a friend who is
currently going to college who got a discount from Borland
International for Turbo Pascal.  And of course, Apple has
always offered various discounts on software and hardware.

     I'm glad to hear Zortech also has this policy.

--
John Passaniti - via FidoNet node 1:260/230