[comp.lang.c] C code wanted for accessing dbase files

hendricp@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz (Peter Hendricks) (09/01/90)

A colleague is looking for C routines to access DBase III+ files.
If anyone knows of such routines, commercial or otherwise, please
email me.  I will summarise, if there is enough interest.

He's looking at writing a commercial program, so I think he'd be quite
happy to spend some of his employer's money for useful stuff.

Thanks,        Peter

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (09/06/90)

In article <84.26e01170@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz>, hendricp@wanda (Peter Hendricks) writes:
>A colleague is looking for C routines to access DBase III+ files.
>If anyone knows of such routines, commercial or otherwise, please
>email me.  I will summarise, if there is enough interest.
>
>He's looking at writing a commercial program, so I think he'd be quite
>happy to spend some of his employer's money for useful stuff.
>
>Thanks,        Peter

We've used a product called Code Base 4 from Sequiter Software. (for the
IBM PC).  I've only used the windowing functions that came with the package
and they were terrible.  The indexing functions do, however, let you work
directly with files in DBASE format.  Supposedly they've re-written the
entire product to perform much better.  Who knows?

Neil
( ) _     ( )   Neil Weisenfeld                            | 3900 Chestnut St.
( )(_)_   ( )   Computer Science and Engineering           | Apt. 233
( )  (_)_ ( )   School of Engineering and Applied Science  | Philadelphia, PA

lwb@pensoft.UUCP (Lance Bledsoe) (09/07/90)

In article <84.26e01170@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz> hendricp@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz (Peter Hendricks) writes:
>A colleague is looking for C routines to access DBase III+ files.
>If anyone knows of such routines, commercial or otherwise...

There are several packages of this type available through some of the
shareware, public domain or C users group type sources.

| Lance Bledsoe                      | Home:   (512) 258-0112                 |
| Pencom Software, Inc.              | Off:    (512) 343-1111                 |
| 8716 North MoPac #200              | Fax:    (512) 343-9650                 |
| Austin, Texas  78759               | UUCP:   cs.utexas.edu!pensoft!lwb      |
|                                    | UUNET:  uunet!uudell!pensoft!lwb       |
| In the Soviet Union is UUCP really called UUCCCP? :-)                       |