[comp.lang.c] Source of "NUMERICAL RECIPES IN C" wanted

jai@helium.ecn.purdue.edu (Jayakumar Srinivasan) (09/21/90)

Hi,

This concerns the book "Numerical recipes in C" by Press et al.
Is the code given in the book available?  I hear that you can purchase
it from the authors.  Do any of the netters know if it can be accessed
from any sites?   I have access to anonymous ftp.

any information will be appreciated.
Thanks

__
S. Jayakumar
jai@cn.ecn.purdue.edu

johns@calvin.spp.cornell.edu (John Sahr) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep21.154049.13907@ecn.purdue.edu>
  jai@helium.ecn.purdue.edu (Jayakumar Srinivasan) writes:

>Hi,
>This concerns the book "Numerical recipes in C" by Press et al.
>Is the code given in the book available?
Yes; it is, of course, printed in the book.

>  I hear that you can purchase it from the authors.
Yes;

Inquire about the IBM diskette #35466-8

Cambridge University Press,
Order Department,
510 North Avenue,
New Rochelle,  NY  10801

>Do any of the netters know if it can be accessed
>from any sites?   I have access to anonymous ftp.

"...Although this book and its programs are copyrighted, we specifically
authorize you, a reader of the book, to make one machine-readable copy
of each program for your own use.  You may wish to consider purchasing
this book's collected programs in one of the machine-readable formats
that are available (see front of book).  Distribution of the machine-
readable programs (either as copied by you or purchased) to any other
person is not authorized."

(from the preface to my 1988 printing of NRiC)

I have no connection to NRiC other than as a satisfied user.  This
book is by no means perfect, but it is an excellent place to start.
My chief gripe is the coding style chosen.  In particular, they
uniformly use unit-offset arrays.  The algorithms and references are
very good, though.

--
John Sahr,                   | Electrical Engineering - Space Plasma Physics
johns@alfven.spp.cornell.edu | Cornell University,         Ithaca, NY  14853