[comp.lang.c] C to occam translator

robert%zeus@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri) (09/24/90)

Hi,
	We are currenlt starting to use the Transputer Development System
and feel that occam has more to offer than parallel C. However this means
that we will have to rewrite our algorithms from C to occam. This is ok for
the transputer/parallel specific stuff but given the
existence of fortran to C and pascal to C translator does anybody know of
a C to occam or even a Pascal to occam translator?
	In fact I've seen very little on occam (there is no comp.lang.occam).
What is the prevailing attitude to transputers and occam? One reason we are
using occam is that it has the ALT operation which parallel C doesn't (appear)
to have. Any help appreciated.
--
Dr. Roberto Togneri
Dept. of EE Engineering                 EMAIL: robert@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au

kaiser@ananke.stgt.sub.org (Andreas Kaiser) (09/25/90)

In a message of <Sep 24 03:02>, Roberto Togneri (robert%zeus@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au
) writes:
 RT>         We are currenlt starting to use the Transputer Development System
 RT> and feel that occam has more to offer than parallel C. However this means

I wrote a cross compiler for parallel C (running on a PC) at the university of
Stuttgart.

The point is: I do not know about the status of the basis of this work, Johnsons
Portable-C-Compiler for the PDP-11. Until I know more, I cannot say whether it
is available or not.

 RT> that we will have to rewrite our algorithms from C to occam. This is ok for

 RT> the transputer/parallel specific stuff but given the
 RT> existence of fortran to C and pascal to C translator does anybody know of
 RT> a C to occam or even a Pascal to occam translator?

This is *impossible*. OCCAM does not allow neither recursion nor dynamic memory
management (heap) nor pointer types not structure/union types.

 RT> What is the prevailing attitude to transputers and occam? One reason we are
 RT> using occam is that it has the ALT operation which parallel C doesn't
 RT> (appear) to have. Any help appreciated.

PAR, ALT, i/o and timer operations are included.

If you are interested, address your mail to

        homeis@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de

                Gruss, Andreas

rob@dutncp8.tudelft.nl (Rob Kurver) (09/25/90)

In <robert.654145325@zeus> robert%zeus@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri) writes:

>One reason we are
>using occam is that it has the ALT operation which parallel C doesn't (appear)
>to have. Any help appreciated.

If this is the main reason for using Occam, you may want to reconsider:
There do exist C compilers for transputers that offer the same parallel
constructs as Occam (par, alt, channel datatype) - my company offers one.

I don't want to plug a commercial product here, so contact me by email
(rob@pact.nl) if you're interested.

Cheers. - Rob

--
Rob Kurver                          rob@dutncp8.tudelft.nl
Computational Physics Group         rob@pact.nl

geoff@hls0.hls.oz (Geoff Bull) (09/27/90)

In article <robert.654145325@zeus> robert%zeus@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri) writes:

>What is the prevailing attitude to transputers and occam? One reason we are

Occam is a real a______e for any reasonable sized program.
It is a really bad D unless your application is really well suited to the Occam
programming model and its not huge. Programmer productivity with Occam is about
10% of that with C. Do yourself a favour - leave Occam alone!