[comp.lang.c] The C Users Journal

bradb@cs.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) (11/10/89)

gavin@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Gavin C. H. Zau) writes:

>	I am restarting to use C and would like to subscribe to
>a C magazine.  Can someone please recommend one?  Is the C users
>Journal any good.  Thanks.

>--
>Gavin Zau	Dept of Chemical Engineering, MIT
>		gavin@caf.mit.edu	mefl@eagle.mit.edu

I've subscribed to the C User's Journal for about four years --
back then they were the C User's Group newsletter, and they
were good then.  They've since changed to a real magazine format,
printed on real paper instead of newsprint, and do about 96 pages
per issue.  The editorial quality has improved greatly and they
have attracted more really good authors, both a result of greater
manpower and money.

I recommend CUJ very highly.  I also subscribe to Dr. Dobb's and
Computer Language, and CUJ is by far the best if you're looking
for a C-specific mag.

					(-:  Brad Brown  :-)
					bradb@ai.utoronto.ca

mpledger@cti1.UUCP (Mark Pledger) (09/05/90)

Is there a connection between usenet and "The C Users Journal" magazine?
I wish to download some source from the latest issue, but nowhere does
the magazine explain how to do it.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Sincerely,

Mark Pledger

CTI                              |              (703) 685-5434 [voice]
2121 Crystal Drive               |              (703) 685-7022 [fax]
Suite 103                        |
Arlington, DC  22202             |              mpledger@cti.com
             "To boldly go where no 'C' has gone before"

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (09/06/90)

mpledger@cti1.UUCP (Mark Pledger) writes:
>Is there a connection between usenet and "The C Users Journal" magazine?
>I wish to download some source from the latest issue, but nowhere does
>the magazine explain how to do it.
No, there is no 'Connection' between Usenet, pe se, and the magazine.
I write the column called "On the Networks" on which I announce what
has appeared lately on Usenet.  The items mentioned in my column are
available via the usual archive sites for the groups comp.sources.unix,
comp.sources.misc, and comp.sources.games.  However, the source printed
in the magazine, related to the articles in the magazine, is available
on disk from the C Users Group (Same company as the magazine, same
address), but not for downloading.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (10/05/90)

In article <1990Sep5.174354.1953@DSI.COM>, syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:
> mpledger@cti1.UUCP (Mark Pledger) writes:

>>Is there a connection between usenet and "The C Users Journal" magazine?

> No, there is no 'Connection' between Usenet, pe se, and the magazine.
> --

Well, how about the Library they maintain?  Can that be somewhere on an
FTP site?  I just was wondering if I could snarf a few CUG volumes for
a look-see. . .

If they aren't, why aren't they ???  Don't they make enough $$ from the
Journal & ads therein?

Don't flame me, they've done an excellent job by me, but it would seem so
useful to be able to do that sort of thing.

Ronn