[comp.lang.c] Two Questions.

svissag@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve L Vissage II) (10/04/90)

I'm just learning C.  The introductory book I used was Herbert Schildt's
"C: The Complete Reference", which covers the ANSI standard, and Unix C.

I think the only thing the book doesn't explain well is far pointers.  Would
one of you be kind enough to enlighten me through e-mail?  I'd like a brief
technical definition, and a more indepth explanation of how they're different
from regular pointers, specifically how usage differs.

Second, I've been thinking about a project that would require something like
self-modifying code.  I want to write a C program which can take input from
the keyboard, a word, say, and declare a structure by that name.  In other
words, I have the name of a structure in a variable, is it possible to declare
that structure using the variable?

Thanks for your help, and I'll be getting back to you.

Steve L Vissage II

In article <10763@hubcap.clemson.edu> svissag@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve L Vissage II) writes:
>Second, I've been thinking about a project that would require something like
>self-modifying code.  I want to write a C program which can take input from
>the keyboard, a word, say, and declare a structure by that name.  In other
>words, I have the name of a structure in a variable, is it possible to declare
>that structure using the variable?

No.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry