[comp.lang.c] Problems running the C compiler on a 3B2

aj4640@dean1.usma.edu (Robertson John MAJ) (10/04/90)

While running the makefile that came with the X11R4 release tape
(from mit), several files failed to compile, exiting with
error messages that said "too many defines" and "no space".

These are preprocessor messages I think.  THe files are OK and
don't appear to have any recursive includes.  I've plenty of
disk space.  Cany anyone help with the cause?  the cure?

Jack

In article <255@dean1.usma.edu> aj4640@dean1.acd.usma.edu writes:
>While running the makefile that came with the X11R4 release tape
>(from mit), several files failed to compile, exiting with
>error messages that said "too many defines" and "no space".
>
>These are preprocessor messages I think.  THe files are OK and
>don't appear to have any recursive includes.  I've plenty of
>disk space.  Cany anyone help with the cause?  the cure?

The cause is that your vender (AT&T in this case) compiled cpp with
table sizes that are too small.  (The tables keep track of the #defines,
and other such stuff).

This is a typical problem (when I used to port an office automation
package we ran into this problem on many systems and usually had to
bring along our own cpp.

A solution for you would be to get the gnu-cpp that comes with GCC and
compile that piece to use instead of the standard cpp.  (I'm not sure
if GCC has been ported to a 3b2, but that shouldn't matter since all you
need is the cpp).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170